Knowing me, I shouldn’t talk much: Salman Khan post ‘raped woman’ comment
The ongoing controversy around his statement that during a gruelling shooting sequence for Sultan, he felt like ‘a raped woman’, Bollywood actor Salman Khan, seems to have imposed a little restraint on the actor.
Speaking at an event in Madrid (Spain) alongside a handful of other top Bollywood stars to promote the International Indian Film Academy (IIFA) awards, Salman said, “I know it has been a long evening, I will make it short, quick,” he said, prompting a woman in the audience to yell out: “No! Long!”.
Salman then said: “I have to. Knowing me the shorter I keep it the better it is.” The audience, made up largely of Indian journalists and entertainment industry workers, broke out into cheers and applause.
The 50-year-old actor, who has played a bad boy with a heart of gold in dozens of Indian blockbusters, made the controversial comments in an interview to promote his latest Bollywood movie Sultan, which tells the story of an ageing wrestler trying to make a comeback. “When I used to walk out of the ring, after the shoot, I used to feel like a raped woman. I couldn’t walk straight,” 50-year-old said in an interview with Indian news site Spotboye.com published on Monday.
The National Commission for Women (NCW) demanded a public apology, calling the comments “reprehensible”, following an outcry on social media where the hashtag #InsensitiveSalman has been trending.
Khan is nominated for best actor in the IIFA awards for his role in Bajrangi Bhaijaan, the biggest-grossing Bollywood film of 2015.
The movie, about a man who embarks on a journey to reunite a mute six-year-old Pakistani girl stuck in India with her parents in Pakistan, is expected to be one of the big winners at the 17th edition of the awards, which are held in a different city outside of India every year.
Last year Khan was cleared of killing a homeless man in a hit-and-run crash and he is battling allegations he used unlicensed arms to shoot antelopes in western India.
Follow @htshowbiz for more
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Filmmaker-actor Divya Khosla Kumar has spoken about her journey, and how she didn't want to join the film industry when she first moved to Mumbai.
- Actor Rajkummar Rao isn't over his obsession with Shah Rukh Khan. He has often spoken about his love for SRK.
- As actors Kareena Kapoor and Saif Ali Khan prepare to move into their house, their designer gave an insight into all the amenities the new home will have.
- Did you know that Pranutan Bahl and Kajol are related? Here's what the young actor has to say about her equation with 'Kajol bua'.
- Taimur Ali Khan was fascinated by a cow outside his Fortune Heights residence. He folded his hands and enjoyed its owner playing film songs on his wind instrument.
- Actor Salman Khan prepared some raw onion pickle in a new video shared by his 'sister', Bina Kak. Watch video here.
- Actor Janhvi Kapoor has said that while she doesn't go on conventional dates, she once had a scary experience while she was a student in Los Angeles.