Knowing me, I shouldn’t talk much: Salman Khan post ‘raped woman’ comment
The ongoing controversy around his statement that during a gruelling shooting sequence for Sultan, he felt like ‘a raped woman’, Bollywood actor Salman Khan, seems to have imposed a little restraint on the actor.
Speaking at an event in Madrid (Spain) alongside a handful of other top Bollywood stars to promote the International Indian Film Academy (IIFA) awards, Salman said, “I know it has been a long evening, I will make it short, quick,” he said, prompting a woman in the audience to yell out: “No! Long!”.
Salman then said: “I have to. Knowing me the shorter I keep it the better it is.” The audience, made up largely of Indian journalists and entertainment industry workers, broke out into cheers and applause.
The 50-year-old actor, who has played a bad boy with a heart of gold in dozens of Indian blockbusters, made the controversial comments in an interview to promote his latest Bollywood movie Sultan, which tells the story of an ageing wrestler trying to make a comeback. “When I used to walk out of the ring, after the shoot, I used to feel like a raped woman. I couldn’t walk straight,” 50-year-old said in an interview with Indian news site Spotboye.com published on Monday.
The National Commission for Women (NCW) demanded a public apology, calling the comments “reprehensible”, following an outcry on social media where the hashtag #InsensitiveSalman has been trending.
Khan is nominated for best actor in the IIFA awards for his role in Bajrangi Bhaijaan, the biggest-grossing Bollywood film of 2015.
The movie, about a man who embarks on a journey to reunite a mute six-year-old Pakistani girl stuck in India with her parents in Pakistan, is expected to be one of the big winners at the 17th edition of the awards, which are held in a different city outside of India every year.
Last year Khan was cleared of killing a homeless man in a hit-and-run crash and he is battling allegations he used unlicensed arms to shoot antelopes in western India.
Follow @htshowbiz for more
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Actor Anushka Sharma shared a post on mothers on the occasion of International Women's Day. She said that 'strong' and 'resilient ones' need to be celebrated.
- Kishwer Merchant dropped a comment on a video of Kangana Ranaut at the airport, asking, "How is this woman never in a mask?'
- Esha Deol revealed that while her mother Hema Malini did not cry at her 'bidaai', she could not hold back her emotions afterwards.
- Lisa Haydon, who is currently expecting her third child with husband Dino Lalvani, shared a special post featuring her 'very little woman' on International Women's Day.
- Aamir Khan and Elli AvrRam burn up the dance floor in the first teaser for their song, Har Funn Maula. Watch it here.
- Actor Nawazuddin Siddiqui's brother Shamas has reacted to news of that Nawaz and his wife, Aaliya, are willing to reconcile. Aaliya had accused Shamas of physical abuse.
- Kriti Sanon slipped and almost fell before a posing session for the paparazzi on Monday. Watch the video here.
- Janhvi Kapoor was spotted at the Mumbai airport over the weekend. During her exit from the airport, her staff member stopped a fan from taking a picture with the actor. Janhvi tackled the situation calmly.
- Boney Kapoor said that he was fortunate to have 'some of the strongest women in the world' in his life -- late wife Sridevi, and daughters Janhvi Kapoor, Khushi Kapoor and Anshula Kapoor.
- Despite cancelling divorce proceedings, Nawazuddin Siddiqui's wife, Aaliya, has said that they aren't yet living with each other.
- Shilpa Shetty's husband Raj Kundra shared a funny and cute video of the two of them to celebrate his wife and an 'amazing role model'.