Koko acts out mom’s life
Directed by Aparna, the film is based on the life of an ageing actor reliving her memories before she decides to commit suicide. Konkona plays the younger version of the actor Mrinalini, while her mother portrays the aged incarnation of the character.
“Some parts in the film are taken from my own life,” says the 65-year-old director.
One such scene lifted straight from Sen’s life is when a young Mrinalini is suddenly thrown out of a film. “I was once replaced by a successful actor very early in my career. I was very hurt by this incident. Later on, when the same producer came to me asking for dates for another film, I expressed my feelings before him. The same happens to Konkona in this film and her dialogue is exactly what I had told that producer,” she says.
This would be the second time that Aparna and Konkona are together in a film. The director says she had no choice but to act in the film to make it a casting coup of sorts.
“Using the both of us makes for a very strong casting. Else, we would have to find two people who look alike - one for the older and another for the younger Mrinalini,” she says.
The script of Iti Mrinalini was written along with Ranjan Ghosh - the first time Sen is collaborating with a script-writer. Her last film, The Japanese Wife, was based on a story by author Kunal Basu. pti
On the film
I have observed certain things in life, which I have incorporated in the film. Some parts are from my own life.
On Koko’s role
Using the both of us makes for a very strong casting. Else, we would have to find two people who look alike.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Karan Johar and Manish Malhotra arrived at Saif Ali Khan and Kareena Kapoor's residence and posed together for the paparazzi. Malaika Arora and sister Amrita also visited the couple.
- Twinkle Khanna shared a funny experience from her recent doctor's visit and joked about being a 'long-standing member of Giri Hui Aurat Club'.
- Hema Malini, who will be seen as a guest in an upcoming episode of Indian Idol 12, opened up about how her father tried to keep her away from Dharmendra.
- Tamannaah Bhatia is currently in Jaipur, enjoying the pre-wedding functions of her best friend Hanna Khan. See pictures from sangeet and mehendi ceremonies.
- Bhumi Pednekar's sea-facing apartment in Mumbai features a potpourri of elements, including a beautiful garden, a grand chandelier and a small filmy spot.
- Director Sooni Taraporevala has clarified that her accusations of plagiarism against the creatives behind an apparel ad have nothing to do with Deepika Padukone, who was featured in it.
- Tiger Shroff is among the most successful young stars. In an old interview, he had explained why buying a house for his parents was his most heroic act, off the screen.
- Kangana Ranaut alleged that no architect is willing to restore her office in Mumbai after it was partially demolished by the BMC last year, as they are being threatened with cancellation of their licenses.