Laal Kaptaan box office collection day 1: Saif Ali Khan’s film beaten by Angelina Jolie’s Maleficent, makes Rs 50 lakh
Laal Kaptaan, starring Saif Ali Khan as a Naga sadhu, failed to attract audiences on its first day of release. The film clashed with Angelina Jolie’s Maleficent: Mistress of Evil, which recorded a slightly higher opening at the box office.
According to a report on Box office India, Laal Kaptaan made around Rs 50 lakh.This is even lower than Sonam Kapoor’s latest release, The Zoya Factor, which had opened at Rs 70 lakh last month.
Also watch: Laal Kaptaan | Public Review | Saif Ali Khan
Directed by Navdeep Singh, the film is a revenge thriller. It tells the story of a Naga sadhu who is also a bounty hunter. It also stars Zoya Hussain, Deepak Dobriyal and Manav Vij. Sonakshi Sinha also has a cameo in the film.
The film had garnered mixed response from critics. The Hindustan Times review of the film read, “The film, having established its time and mood, meanders. The punch to the gut you expected in the second half never comes and the thrill of the chase fades. You see the big reveal coming a mile off and the climax feels forced. That is the trouble with long journeys — they take away the fun of finally reaching your destination.”
Maleficent: Mistress of Evil also failed to impress the audience and collected around Rs 70 lakh on day one. Aishwarya Rai has lent her voice for Angelina’s character in the film’s Hindi version.
Meanwhile, Hrithik Roshan and Tiger Shroff’s War is inching towards Rs 300 crore. The film collected around Rs 2.75 crore nett on its third Friday. The total collections of the film have crossed Rs 290 crore in all languages.
Film trade analyst Taran Adarsh has confirmed that Siddharth Anand’s film is set to cross Rs 100 crore in the overseas market. Sharing the international figures of the film, he wrote on Twitter, “War is racing towards ₹ 100 cr mark in the international arena... Total after Week 2: $ 12.10 million [Rs 86.04 cr]...USA -Canada: $ 3.992 mn UAE - GCC: $ 4.357 mn UK: $ 790k ROW: $ 2.961 mn Note: Few cinemas yet to report. Overseas.”
Follow @htshowbiz for more
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Actor Vidya Balan has said that it has taken her time to accept her body because, at one point in her life, she used to hate it.
- Kangana Ranaut, who earlier accused Vikas Bahl of inappropriate behaviour, thanked him for turning her career around with Queen. She said that he 'played a very significant role' in shaping her destiny.
- Shahid Kapoor aced the Centre of Gravity challenge, much to the surprise of his wife Mira Rajput, who called him a 'smooth operator'. Watch the video here.
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui's wife Aaliya has reaffirmed her wish to reconcile with the actor in a new interview, adding that she is ready to mend her ties with his brother Shamas.
- Rhea Kapoor dedicated an adorable Instagram post to her boyfriend Karan Boolani. She shared pictures of her showering him with kisses. See his reply here.
- Taimur Ali Khan was photographed in Mumbai on Sunday. The star kid was seen out with his father Saif Ali Khan and half-sister Sara Ali Khan.
- Sara Ali Khan shared two new pictures from brother Ibrahim's birthday party. More pictures were shared by one of Ibrahim's friends.
- Anupam Kher, who turned a year older on Sunday, shared a video from his birthday 'pawri' with his 'best friends'. Watch it here.
- Actor Vidya Balan has recalled feeling worried about how her family would react to The Dirty Picture. She revealed her mother and father's immediate reaction to the film.
- Twinkle Khanna, using an adorable photo of daughter Nitara kissing a puppy, urged everyone to wear their masks correctly instead of using them as 'chin straps'.