Mary Kom trailer: Priyanka Chopra's dialogues pack a punch too
That is what we glean from the two-and-a-half-minute-long trailer of
with a non-Manipuri looking Priyanka Chopra in the titular role. The actor is stellar in the role and throws all the right punches.
We also get to hear some knockout dialogues: Priyanka to a person who looks like a government official "
Kabhi kisi ko itna bhi mat darao ke darr hi khatam ho jaaye
", or her coach after she becomes a mother "
Ek aurat maa banke strong ho jaata hai aur ab tumhara takat do guna bad gaya hai
A fair amount of time is given to how India sees its sportspersons and women. Mary's father throws her gloves into fire and a man taunts her when he sees her with the gloves, "Ye dekho boxing gloves pehen ke aaya Mohammad Ali."
What the audience will love in the film is that Priyanka as Mary always have the answers to all these questions, and is not afraid to say them.
The difficult phase in her career when she lost all hope of a comeback is also well delineated when she says, "India boxer Mary Kom ko bhool gaya hai, kya Mary Kom bhi boxing bhool gaya hai."
Her romance also gets a sweet description. A broken down scooter brings a guilty, "Jaan kar nahi kiya yeh" from her prospective husband, to which she replies, "Tum mere saath safe hai."
However, there are some issues with the trailer too. Priyanka's Manipuri accent comes and goes. Even the 'aata hai, jaata hai' dialogues get jarring after a while. If the characters have to speak Hindi, why can't they do it without mixing up their genders?
The physical dissimilarities between Priyanka and Mary are pronounced and try as hard as you can, you cannot wipe out how the boxing champion looks in real life.
Seeing the non-Manipuri looking Priyanka in the film otherwise inhabited by actors from North-East is disconcerting.
The film, directed by Omung Kumar and produced by Sanjay Leela Bhansali and Viacom 18 Motion Pictures, also stars Minakkshi Kalitaa, Shishir Sharma and Zachary Coffin in significant roles.
Can this be India's Million Dollar Baby? The jury is still out on that.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Shah Rukh Khan's daughter, Suhana Khan, has shared a new picture on Instagram Stories, showing off her necklace collection.
- Sushant Singh Rajput's niece, Mallika Singh, shared precious memories with him on his birth anniversary. She said that she misses him ‘more than (he) can ever imagine’.
- Mira Rajput has shared new pictures from her Goa vacation with Shahid Kapoor. See her latest posts here.
- Kangana Ranaut criticised Twitter after a representative justified temporary restriction of her account, citing her now-deleted anti-Tandav tweet.
- Anil Kapoor was sceptical about playing Priyanka Chopra's father in Dil Dhadakne Do, as they were offered films as a romantic pair in the past. His son, Harsh Varrdhan Kapoor, convinced him to take up the role.
- Actor Tiger Shroff's sister, Krishna, has shared a special post on her 28th birthday, and Disha Patani is in awe. Check it out here.
- Actor Arjun Rampal has shared a new video with his son, Arik. His partner, Gabriella Demetriades, loves it.
- Varun Dhawan evaded commenting on his upcoming wedding with Natasha Dalal in Alibaug when photographers congratulated him. Watch the video here.
- Renuka Shahane, whose parents separated when she was eight years old, was ostracised by other children because she came from a 'broken family'.
- Late actor Sushant Singh Rajput's last co-star, Sanjana Sanghi, has paid tribute to him on his birth anniversary on Thursday.
- Sushant Singh Rajput's sister Priyanka Singh paid an emotional tribute to him on his birth anniversary. She appealed to him to respond as the 'eventuality of (his) silence is too loud to bear'.
- Actor Swara Bhasker has said that it is advisable to have a plan B in place before aspiring actors attempt to realise their Bollywood dreams.