Rabari community offended by Parched, director claims receiving threats
Filmmaker Leena Yadav, who is riding high on the critical success of her latest film Parched, has alleged she has received threats over the depiction of a character in the film.
According to Yadav, the Rabari community of Gujarat has taken offence to the Ajay Devgn-produced social drama. They are upset over the clothes worn by actress Tannishtha Chatterjee, as they are the same which women of the community wear. “They have been calling my husband, giving life threats to us. We have been getting obnoxious calls, non-stop saying ‘You don’t know what we can do to you’. After that we put in an application at Oshiwara police station,” Leena claimed.
“Considering the situation right now that we have around us, as a filmmaker I feel scared to even name a character in my film. It is really scary,” she said.
Watch: Trailer of Parched
The filmmaker said she is also worried about a member of the film unit in Gujarat who helped them in creating the dialect and is also now getting life threatening calls.
Leena said the film, starring Radhika Apte, Surveen Chawla among others, is set in a fictitious village, thus bearing no resemblance to any particular community or religion. “It is set in a fictitious village, there are two disclaimers in the movie, one in the beginning and one in the end saying the same. It has got nothing to do with religion, but is about the stories of women,” she said.
The 45-year-old director says people need to “look at the larger issue” rather than nitpick about other things. “People all over the world said it is our film, they related to it, so it is sad that people here are saying it isn’t theirs. They are still stuck on clothes and do not want to look at the larger issue. We need to rise above all of this,” she said.
Follow @htshowbiz for more
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
Pranutan: What can I do if people want to believe in masala stories about nepotism, and not the truth
Anil Kapoor: Earlier it was like test match, today it’s IPL, the field is exciting for everyone in showbiz
- Janhvi Kapoor, who will be seen next in Roohi, said that viewers are not 'obligated' to love her and the onus is on her to give them a reason to. She added that she is working hard to win everyone over.
- Priyanka Chopra and her pet dog Diana are soaking up the sun in London, where the actor is shooting for the Amazon series Citadel, in which she plays a spy.
- Ranbir Kapoor and Alia Bhatt were clicked at an ad shoot with director Gauri Shinde. Check out some behind-the-scenes photos from the shoot here.
- Salman Khan said he feels 'awkward' and 'embarrassed' but at the same time, 'delighted' and 'honoured', to have his painting displayed alongside legends at an art show.
- Dr. Shriram Nene prepared a homemade pizza for Madhuri Dixit. As he shared a picture of it on Instagram, many of their fans showered compliments.
- Sara Ali Khan took to Instagram and revealed that she and her mother Amrita Singh visited Ajmer Sharif Dargah on Friday.
- Parineeti Chopra shared a new song - Matlabi Yariyan - from her upcoming film, The Girl On The Train. The actor has sung the soulful ballad. Watch here.
- Sara Ali Khan and her mother Amrita Singh were seen twinning in green at Mumbai airport on Thursday. See their pictures here.