Shabana Azmi injured after her car rams truck on Mumbai-Pune Expressway
Veteran Bollywood actor Shabana Azmi was rushed to the hospital after her car rammed into a truck on the Mumbai-Pune Expressway on Saturday evening. Shabana was heading towards Mumbai when her Safari crashed into a truck from her rear as both the vehicles were moving towards Mumbai.
The accident took place 2 kilometres before Khalapur toll booth around 4 pm, according to Maharashtra traffic police headquarters officials. As per Khalapur police, she has sustained minor injuries on her face including neck and chin and near the eye, as she was sitting next to the driver.
Shabana’s husband and lyricist Javed Akhtar, who was travelling behind her in a separate car, an Audi, was safe and his car was not involved in the crash, said police.
Watch | Shabana Azmi injured in car accident on Mumbai-Pune Expressway, wishes pour in
“The Safari was being driven by Azmi’s driver followed by the Audi. The driver tried to overtake and ended up crashing into the moving truck from the rear,” said Vishwajeet Kainjade, inspector at Khalapur police station.
Within fifteen minutes of the accident, the police team reached the spot. However, by the time, the first responders had already rushed Shabana to the hospital. She is currently admitted at MGM Hospital in Kamothe.
Several Bollywood celebrities tweeted about the accident and wished for Shabana’s speedy recovery. Filmmaker Hansal Mehtra wrote, “The Mumbai-Pune expressway has always been dangerous and there is little or no monitoring to prevent rash driving. Have seen so many terrible accidents there. Hope #ShabanaAzmi is fine. Dear @OfficeofUT please improve safety on this route urgently. It is quite a death trap.”
Actor Swara Bhaskar tweeted, “Shabana Azmi injured in road accident on Mumbai- Pune Expressway. OMG! Praying so hard.” Actor Gauahar Khan wrote, “Shabanaji praying hard.” Ranvir Shorey tweeted, “OMG! This is terrible! Praying for @AzmiShabana’s safety and wishing her a speedy recovery!”
Theatre director Danish Husain has tweeted that Shabana is now out of danger. However, there has been no comment from either her family or her representative.
Follow @htshowbiz for more
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Saif Ali Khan and Kareena Kapoor Khan were visited on Wednesday evening by Karisma Kapoor, Malaika Arora, Amrita Arora, Manish Malhotra and Natasha Poonawalla.
- Karan Johar and Manish Malhotra arrived at Saif Ali Khan and Kareena Kapoor's residence and posed together for the paparazzi. Malaika Arora and sister Amrita also visited the couple.
- Twinkle Khanna shared a funny experience from her recent doctor's visit and joked about being a 'long-standing member of Giri Hui Aurat Club'.
- Hema Malini, who will be seen as a guest in an upcoming episode of Indian Idol 12, opened up about how her father tried to keep her away from Dharmendra.
- Tamannaah Bhatia is currently in Jaipur, enjoying the pre-wedding functions of her best friend Hanna Khan. See pictures from sangeet and mehendi ceremonies.
- Bhumi Pednekar's sea-facing apartment in Mumbai features a potpourri of elements, including a beautiful garden, a grand chandelier and a small filmy spot.
- Director Sooni Taraporevala has clarified that her accusations of plagiarism against the creatives behind an apparel ad have nothing to do with Deepika Padukone, who was featured in it.
- Tiger Shroff is among the most successful young stars. In an old interview, he had explained why buying a house for his parents was his most heroic act, off the screen.
- Kangana Ranaut alleged that no architect is willing to restore her office in Mumbai after it was partially demolished by the BMC last year, as they are being threatened with cancellation of their licenses.