Shakti Kapoor on not being a part of Coolie No 1 remake: ‘I was late in calling David Dhawan’
Actor Shakti Kapoor has spoken about Varun Dhawan, Sara Ali Khan’s Coolie No. 1 remake and how he failed to be a part of it. Shakti played Goverdhan in the original David Dhawan film that starred Govinda and Karisma Kapoor. Made in 1995, the film was a superhit and a part of Govinda-David’s ‘No. 1’ series.
Shakti said he is not a part of the Coolie No. 1, also helmed by David, because by the time he called the director, the film was done. “I called up to say I want to be in Coolie No. 1 but it was too late. I would have done any role for David and I always will. Varun meri godh mein bada hua hai (Varun has grown up in front of my eyes); he is such an intense actor who has a range.”
In a conversation with ETimes, Shakti said he would have done any role for David. “I can’t wait for December 25 to see Varun Dhawan’s Coolie No.1. I am going to see the film soonest. David is a maker who won’t leave his film until he is satisfied in all respects. So we can rest assured that it must be a nice film. Plus, I am sure he will have some surprise in this one- something different from the original that he made 25 years ago.”
Earlier, Sara had spoken about filling Karisma’s shoes in the remake. “It’s been some years since then. Things have changed. I think instead of aping or trying to copy Karisma, which is impossible to do, we have tried to bring a freshness to the role. I enjoyed working with Varun, so it is that chemistry for me that’s in the film at opposed to trying to copy Karisma Kapoor because that wouldn’t be fun and wouldn’t be possible.”
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Actor Pooja Bhatt has said that she took a step back from acting because she had no desire to play 'arm candy' to heroes.
- Arjun Kapoor and Anshula Kapoor have shared special birthday posts for their half-sister, Janhvi Kapoor. Read their messages here.
- Fans clamoured for any new detail about Kareena Kapoor's new baby, after she posted a year-in-recap post on Instagram.
- Actor Janhvi Kapoor, who turned 24 on Saturday, has spoken about the most valuable life lessons she learned from her parents, Boney Kapoor and Sridevi.
- Ranveer Singh took to Instagram and shared an old picture featuring Rohan Shrestha on the photographer's birthday. The photo was taken when they were 14.
- "I will not make the statement you want me to, take my smile instead," said Gul Panag, refusing to comment on statements made by several celebrities about the farmers' protest, in a video being widely shared online.
- Actor Kangana Ranaut has said that she hasn't taken a single holiday in 2021, and has worked through her periods.
- Actors Swara Bhasker, Richa Chadha, Tisca Chopra, Satyadeep Misra, Rajshri Deshpande and others took to social media to voice their support for Taapsee Pannu and Anurag Kashyap.
- Janhvi Kapoor had once revealed how her mother did not want her to join films. Sridevi felt her older daughter would not be able to survive in the industry.
- New behind-the-scenes photos from the sets of an advertisment capture Ranbir Kapoor's transformation into an old man.
- Actor Rhea Chakraborty's lawyer Satish Maneshinde has called the 12000-page charge sheet filed by the Narcotics Control Bureau in the Sushant Singh Rajput's death case a 'damp squib'.
- Gauahar Khan has shared a video of her father, recalling the 'most favourite memory' of her life. The actor's father died on Friday.
- Actor and politician Nafisa Ali has shared some glorious pictures from her youth. Needless to say, she looks beautiful in them. Check them out here.