Sharmila Tagore to Sagarika Ghatge: Bollywood actors who fell in love with cricketers
India is all about two things: cricket and Bollywood. Whenever the twain meet, it makes everyone happy.
Chak De India actor Sagarika Ghatge and cricketer Zaheer Khan are the latest couple to tie the knot over weekend-long celebrations. However, they aren’t the only couple joining cricket and Bollywood together. Cricketers have found love in Bollywood actors for decades be it Mansoor Ali Khan Pataudi-Sharmila Tagore or Vivian Richards-Neena Gupta.
Here are 7 other couples to prove it:
Sharmila Tagore and Mansoor Ali Khan Pataudi
Aaradhana star Sharmila Tagore married the Indian cricket team captain Mansoor Ali Khan Pataudi in 1969 for which she also converted to Islam and changed her name to Ayesha Sultana. Together, they had three children, Saif, Saba and Soha.
Reena Roy and Mohsin Khan
Naagin actor Reena Roy married Pakistani cricketer Mohsin Khan in 1983. She quit the film industry for the wedding and the two had a daughter together. However, they got divorced later and she lost the custody of her daughter until Mohsin got married again.
Vivian Richards and Neena Gupta
Saans actor Neena Gupta was in a relationship with West Indies cricketer Vivian Richards in the 1980s. They had a daughter, Masaba, together but they never decided to get married. Neena and Richards made sure their daughter was never made to feel like she was “different” or that there was something wrong with her family. Even though Masaba was based in Mumbai, she visited her father in London and Australia (where he was based then), every chance she got. And they all went on family vacations together.
Mohammad Azharuddin and Sangeeta Bijlani
Cricketer Mohammad Azharuddin began dating Sangeeta Bijlani when he was already married to Naureen. He divorced Naureen in 1996 to marry Sangeeta but even that marriage ended in a divorce in 2010.
Virat Kohli and Anushka Sharma
Cricketer Virat Kolhi and actor Anushka Sharma are perhaps the most adored couple on this list. The two met while shooting for a shampoo brand. The two split up for a while during which Virat’s fans blamed her for his bad performance. He came to her rescue and told his fans to not blame her for anything. They patched things up between them and are going stronger than ever.
Harbhajan Singh and Geeta Basra
Harbhajan Singh and Geeta Basra got married in 2015 in Jalandhar and became parents to an adorable daughter in 2016. They named her Hinaya Heer Plaha.
Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech
Bodyguard actor Hazel Keech tied the knot with cricketer Yuvraj Singh in 2016. Their wedding was a social media soiree with fans sharing pictures of the gorgeous bride and groom across different platforms. The wedding festivities continued for six days in Chandigarh, Goa and Delhi.
Follow @htshowbiz for more
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Parineeti Chopra, on being asked about a time in her life she would like to forget, said that she would like to erase her college days as she was 'hugely overweight' at the time.
- Tanishaa Mukherji wished her sister Kajol and brother-in-law Ajay Devgn on their 2nd wedding anniversary.
- Kangana Ranaut announced the release date of her upcoming Jayalalithaa biopic, Thalaivi, with a short teaser. The film, directed by AL Vijay, will release on April 23.
- Priyanka Chopra Jonas reacted to a social media user criticised her now-viral ball-shaped outfit. Earlier, Priyanka shared a bunch of memes inspired by her dress.
Birthday girl Sanya Malhotra: In my fifth year in Bollywood, it’s surreal, can’t believe I am living my dream
- Ayushmann Khurrana made sure to interact with his fans in Shillong by promptly coming down to meet them after they gathered at his Shillong hotel. Watch here
- After the death of singer Sardool Sikander on Wednesday, comedian Kapil Sharma shared a video from his daughter Anayra's first Lohri, when Sardool gave his blessings to the baby.
- The teaser of Sanjay Leela Bhansali's Gangubai Kathiawadi, starring Alia Bhatt in the titular role, was released on Wednesday. Watch it here.
- Alia Bhatt shared a new poster of her upcoming movie Gangubai Kathiawadi. The poster received love from many Bollywood stars including Ranveer Singh , Katrina Kaif and Varun Dhawan.
- Actor Nora Fatehi in an emotional interview recalled the difficulties that she faced as a struggler in Bollywood.