Shikha Talsania on nepotism: Initially no one knew I was Tiku Talsania’s daughter and he made no calls for me
It’s not that nepotism has benefitted all star kids and catapulted them into fame, and perhaps that’s why actor Shikha Talsania — daughter of veteran actor Tiku Talsania — likes to believe that even if one is an insider, two no people can have the same journey in the film industry.
“When it comes to nepotism and my journey, yes my father is an insider given that he has worked for 40 years in the industry. But 2009 (Wake Up Sid) was my first film and 2018 was my seventh film (Veere Di Wedding) where I played my first ever lead role. People didn’t know I was my father’s daughter. He didn’t make any phone calls for me,” says the actor, revealing that when she started out, no one really knew about her lineage.
Shikha calls it a “conscious decision” that she wanted to carve her own niche, so she went through regular drills of screen tests and auditions.
Asked if she feels things would have been easier or any different had people known about her father, Shikha says, “It’s a hypothetical way of thinking if this had happened then that would have followed. This is the path that my parents and I chose, and have no regrets. I don’t judge people making different choices.”
Referring to the whole talk around nepotism, Shikha says in her case it worked very differently.
“Nepotism benefitted me in the sense that I didn’t have to move cities to come to Mumbai, or rent a place. I had that security. There were no reservations, fears and doubts as regarding work shifts. No explanation required even when I travelled back from Madh Island at 4.30 am. Theoretically, I knew about an actor’s journey, par jab aap practical karte ho toh woh experience alag hota hai and your journey is yours,” she explains.
Other than prevalent biases, the alleged drug nexus in Bollywood is currently being investigated. Reacting to these discussions, Shikha feels the narratives prevailing right now is “unfair to everyone” and she hopes for the truth to come out in a more “dignified manner”.
She elaborates, “Honestly I can’t comment much about everything that’s being discussed. They’re being looked at in a both critical and logical manner. These conversations are important but things are getting unnecessarily sensationalised. It all depends on the choices you make and how pragmatic you are.”
Follow @htshowbiz for more
Author tweets @Shreya_MJ
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- In an interview with Hindustan Times, Sharib Hashmi talks about The Family Man season 2, the experience of working with Kangana Ranaut on Dhaakad and more.
- Actor Anushka Sharma shared a post on mothers on the occasion of International Women's Day. She said that 'strong' and 'resilient ones' need to be celebrated.
- Kishwer Merchant dropped a comment on a video of Kangana Ranaut at the airport, asking, "How is this woman never in a mask?'
- Esha Deol revealed that while her mother Hema Malini did not cry at her 'bidaai', she could not hold back her emotions afterwards.
- Lisa Haydon, who is currently expecting her third child with husband Dino Lalvani, shared a special post featuring her 'very little woman' on International Women's Day.
- Aamir Khan and Elli AvrRam burn up the dance floor in the first teaser for their song, Har Funn Maula. Watch it here.
- Actor Nawazuddin Siddiqui's brother Shamas has reacted to news of that Nawaz and his wife, Aaliya, are willing to reconcile. Aaliya had accused Shamas of physical abuse.
- Kriti Sanon slipped and almost fell before a posing session for the paparazzi on Monday. Watch the video here.
- Janhvi Kapoor was spotted at the Mumbai airport over the weekend. During her exit from the airport, her staff member stopped a fan from taking a picture with the actor. Janhvi tackled the situation calmly.
- Boney Kapoor said that he was fortunate to have 'some of the strongest women in the world' in his life -- late wife Sridevi, and daughters Janhvi Kapoor, Khushi Kapoor and Anshula Kapoor.
- Despite cancelling divorce proceedings, Nawazuddin Siddiqui's wife, Aaliya, has said that they aren't yet living with each other.
- Shilpa Shetty's husband Raj Kundra shared a funny and cute video of the two of them to celebrate his wife and an 'amazing role model'.