Sorry Shweta, we let you down
Winning a National Award at the age of 11 is not a child’s play; neither is climbing the stairs of Bollywood stardom. Yet
, the young actor who was recently arrested on charges of running a prostitution racket, was keeping at it, one must say, with élan—playing roles in films directed by Vishal Bharadwaj, Nagesh Kukunoor and Ram Gopal Verma at quite young an age.
Shweta’s arrest at a posh hotel in Hyderabad’s Banjara Hills, her acceptance of prostitution charges, and the way in which media reports flourished on her life, leaves a lot to be reflected upon our society, making it much more than just another celebrity sex-scandal.
Also read: A chance at second innings
As the news of her arrest flashed across TV screens and websites, Shweta’s life and her character, lay bare in front of millions of Indians, to be judged and passed comments on. Her photographs must have been then browsed through by millions and her sex appeal discussed.
Questions on why such a promising actress took to selling her body for sex, notwithstanding, the news of her arrest was sensationalised and readily lapped up. We know, from the press statement issued by the actor, dire financial constraints and wrong advice had led her to prostitution, but we don’t know, as of now, who were the high profile men, who paid to have sex with her.
Reports have come up scrutinising each and every aspect of Shweta’s life, including how in a certain sting operation she was found demanding money for sexual favours. According to the primary laws regulating prostitution in the country, the act itself is not criminalised but all other activities associated with it are. Yet, no news has come up about the rich men who exploited the young actor in need and had paid sex with her.
In the statement by the actor after her arrest that was quoted in a number of media reports, she said that she was compelled to take up prostitution with no other option left to lead her life. Had she said that she had gone into prostitution by free will, it would have been a different case altogether. But, the entire financial compulsion angle reveals to a great extent the kind of society we live in. |
The young actor must have found no one to help her unconditionally, but many to take sexual advantage of her. Blame it on a patriarchal mindset or a male-dominated society, but the fact remains that someone who showed traces of immense talent right from the age of 11, ended up deciding to make a living by selling sex. Rather than sensationalising, what we really need to know is how and why the actor chose such a path. What circumstances did actually compel her to do so. Isn't winning National Award and then delivering an acclaimed performance in a film like Iqbal, enough to guarantee a smooth Bollywood career?
The only thing that Shweta perhaps did wrong was to get too swayed by the jingling of coins. She might have forgotten to cut her coat according to the cloth. But then, we all make mistakes. May be the next time Shweta Basu Prasad creates a buzz, it will be for another National Award.
Take our poll:
(The views expressed by the author are personal.)
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Shah Rukh Khan's daughter, Suhana Khan, has shared a new picture on Instagram Stories, showing off her necklace collection.
- Sushant Singh Rajput's niece, Mallika Singh, shared precious memories with him on his birth anniversary. She said that she misses him ‘more than (he) can ever imagine’.
- Mira Rajput has shared new pictures from her Goa vacation with Shahid Kapoor. See her latest posts here.
- Kangana Ranaut criticised Twitter after a representative justified temporary restriction of her account, citing her now-deleted anti-Tandav tweet.
- Anil Kapoor was sceptical about playing Priyanka Chopra's father in Dil Dhadakne Do, as they were offered films as a romantic pair in the past. His son, Harsh Varrdhan Kapoor, convinced him to take up the role.
- Actor Tiger Shroff's sister, Krishna, has shared a special post on her 28th birthday, and Disha Patani is in awe. Check it out here.
- Actor Arjun Rampal has shared a new video with his son, Arik. His partner, Gabriella Demetriades, loves it.
- Varun Dhawan evaded commenting on his upcoming wedding with Natasha Dalal in Alibaug when photographers congratulated him. Watch the video here.
- Renuka Shahane, whose parents separated when she was eight years old, was ostracised by other children because she came from a 'broken family'.
- Late actor Sushant Singh Rajput's last co-star, Sanjana Sanghi, has paid tribute to him on his birth anniversary on Thursday.
- Sushant Singh Rajput's sister Priyanka Singh paid an emotional tribute to him on his birth anniversary. She appealed to him to respond as the 'eventuality of (his) silence is too loud to bear'.
- Actor Swara Bhasker has said that it is advisable to have a plan B in place before aspiring actors attempt to realise their Bollywood dreams.