Taapsee Pannu takes a dig at news channels: ‘You held the fort of entertainment long enough on our behalf’
Taapsee Pannu took a jibe at certain news channels which, according to her, prioritise entertainment over news. She sarcastically said that the film industry can reclaim the responsibility of entertaining people, now that the Ministry of Home Affairs is allowing movie theatres to reopen with 50% occupancy from October 15, in areas outside containment zones.
“Now that theatres are allowed to open with 50% occupancy its only fair to expect some ‘news’ channels to focus 50% more towards ‘real’ news. Thank you guys, you held the fort of entertainment long enough on our behalf. We can take over from here on. #SharingCaring,” she wrote on Twitter.
Last month, Javed Akhtar took a dig at news channels for giving more importance to Bollywood’s alleged drug links than the farmers’ protests over three controversial farm bills recently passed by the Parliament. He sarcastically remarked that if Karan Johar had invited farmers to his party, ‘life would have been easier’ for the channels, as they would not have to choose between Bollywood and the farmers’ protests.
“If Karan johar had invited some farmers too for his party life would have been easier for our TV channels.They would not have had to choose between farmers protest and Karan’s party!. it seems that Karan’s do is the second most favourite PARTY of our channels,” he tweeted.
Meanwhile, several members of the film industry welcomed the central government’s decision to allow movie theatres to reopen. Abhishek Bachchan called it the ‘best news of the week’, while Suniel Shetty wrote ‘finally’, followed by a folded hands emoji.
The Multiplex Association of India and exhibitors were also in favour of the move. Theatres across the country shut down in March due to the coronavirus pandemic, as a result of which many big Bollywood films headed straight for a streaming release.
Follow @htshowbiz for more
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- In an interview with Hindustan Times, Sharib Hashmi talks about The Family Man season 2, the experience of working with Kangana Ranaut on Dhaakad and more.
- Actor Anushka Sharma shared a post on mothers on the occasion of International Women's Day. She said that 'strong' and 'resilient ones' need to be celebrated.
- Kishwer Merchant dropped a comment on a video of Kangana Ranaut at the airport, asking, "How is this woman never in a mask?'
- Esha Deol revealed that while her mother Hema Malini did not cry at her 'bidaai', she could not hold back her emotions afterwards.
- Lisa Haydon, who is currently expecting her third child with husband Dino Lalvani, shared a special post featuring her 'very little woman' on International Women's Day.
- Aamir Khan and Elli AvrRam burn up the dance floor in the first teaser for their song, Har Funn Maula. Watch it here.
- Actor Nawazuddin Siddiqui's brother Shamas has reacted to news of that Nawaz and his wife, Aaliya, are willing to reconcile. Aaliya had accused Shamas of physical abuse.
- Kriti Sanon slipped and almost fell before a posing session for the paparazzi on Monday. Watch the video here.
- Janhvi Kapoor was spotted at the Mumbai airport over the weekend. During her exit from the airport, her staff member stopped a fan from taking a picture with the actor. Janhvi tackled the situation calmly.
- Boney Kapoor said that he was fortunate to have 'some of the strongest women in the world' in his life -- late wife Sridevi, and daughters Janhvi Kapoor, Khushi Kapoor and Anshula Kapoor.
- Despite cancelling divorce proceedings, Nawazuddin Siddiqui's wife, Aaliya, has said that they aren't yet living with each other.
- Shilpa Shetty's husband Raj Kundra shared a funny and cute video of the two of them to celebrate his wife and an 'amazing role model'.