When Waheeda Rehman said Dilip Kumar played it safe all the time: ‘He lacked courage, would only work with top heroines’
She said, “Dilip Kumar’s a great, great actor. He was a cooperative co-star... But I guess he wasn’t courageous enough.” Waheeda worked with the veteran star in films such as Dil Diya Dard Liya (1966), Ram Aur Shyam (1967) and Aadmi (1968).
She continued, “He played safe all the time. He’d only work with top heroines, known music directors… Even subject wise, he played safe.” She said that when she was working with the legendary filmmaker Satyajit Ray on Abhiman, he told her to put in a good word for him with Dilip, because he wanted to work with him. “I conveyed that to Dilip saab. But sadly, he didn’t seem interested. What a combination Ray and he’d have made!” she said.
Dilip Kumar is currently in self-quarantine with Saira Banu, according to the latest update shared by his representatives on social media. “Saira has left nothing to chance, ensuring I do not catch any infection,” the actor’s tweet read.
In the same interview, Waheeda praised Sunil Dutt, whom she described as “a friendly and progressive man” and Guru Dutt, about whom she said, “He spoke little. He’d just observe. But he was extremely sensitive.”
Follow @htshowbiz for more
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Director Shyam Benegal goes down memory lane as his National Award winning film Zubeidaa completes two decades, recalls how Manoj Bajpayee was initially diffident to play a Maharaja and Karisma Kapoor was nervous.
- Kareena Kapoor has shared a picture of her lavish lunch, sent by cousin Armaan Jain. Check it out here.
- Anushka Sharma has congratulated Team India on their historic victory against Australia on Tuesday.
- Sherlyn Chopra has accused disgraced director Sajid Khan of sexual misconduct, adding that he's protected by the Bollywood 'mafia'.
- Pahlaj Nihalani has said that although he hasn't received an invitation, he's heard that Varun Dhawan and Natasha Dalal are tying the knot this weekend.
- After Alia Bhatt's reported hospitalisation for exertion, her Gangubai Kathiawadi co-star, Seema Pahwa, said that director Sanjay Leela Bhansali doesn't rush actors with work.
- Malaika Arora has shared a throwback picture from her Goa vacation with Arjun Kapoor, along with some advice. Rahul Khanna said that he'll try to follow it.
- Actor Deepika Padukone answered quirky questions in an Instagram Ask Me Anything session on Tuesday.