Much-hyped Room in Kindle best-seller list
Room, the seventh novel by Dublin-born author Emma Donoghue, appeared on the shortlist of the Man Booker Prize on September 7 and has received tremedous praise from reviewers. It is a story about...books Updated: Oct 01, 2010 12:26 IST
Franzen's Freedom, released on August 31 in the US and September 23 in the UK, is his much-anticipated follow-up to 2001's The Corrections. The book has been getting considerable international press and mostly glowing reviews and has been topping best-seller lists throughout the US. On September 17, famed US talk show host Oprah Winfrey made Freedom her first book club selection of 2010 - Winfrey started the book club in 1996 and because of its widespread popularity, she is able to transform even obscure titles into popular bestsellers (a phenomenon popularized as the "Oprah effect").
Room, the seventh novel by Dublin-born author Emma Donoghue, appeared on the shortlist of the Man Booker Prize on September 7 and has received tremedous praise from reviewers. The novel, released on July 30 in the UK and September 23 in the US, is a story told from the perspective of a five-year-old boy whose mother is being held prisoner in a small room by a mysterious creature. Donoghue, 40 years old, based the novel on the real-life case of Emily Fritzl, who was held in captivity in Austria for 24 years by her father.
Kindle weekly best-sellers:
1. Freedom - Jonathan Franzen (1 = position last week)
2. The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo - Stieg Larsson (2)
3. The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest - Stieg Larsson (3)
4. The Girl Who Played with Fire - Stieg Larsson (4)
5. Safe Haven - Nicolas Sparks (5)
6. Bad Blood: A Virgil Flowers Novel - John Sandford (new)
7. Room - Emma Donoghue (new)
8. Mini-Shopaholic - Sophie Kinsella (new)
9. A Scattered Life - Karen McQuestion (6)
10. Mockingjay - Suzanne Collins (7)
Amazon's Kindle e-reader is available internationally. Kindle e-books can also be read on the Apple iPhone and iPod Touch, PCs and Macs, BlackBerry and Android phones, and tablet computers including the iPad.
First Published: Oct 01, 2010 12:15 IST