Reliance Jio extends free services: 5 takeaways from Mukesh Ambani’s speech
Reliance Industries announced on Thursday a three-month extension to an offer of free data and voice services by Jio in what could be an escalation in the telecom sector’s price war.business Updated: Dec 01, 2016 19:37 IST
Reliance Industries announced on Thursday a three-month extension to an offer of free data and voice services by Jio in what could be an escalation in the telecom sector’s price war.
Reliance chairman Mukesh Ambani said in a live YouTube feed that Jio’s existing and new customers will get free voice and data till March 31, 2017. Here are five takeaways from Ambani’s speech:
1) Ambani said Reliance Jio is the fastest growing tech company in the world. Six lakh customers are signing up for the service every day. He said Jio is growing faster than Facebook, WhatsApp and Skype. Ambani added that Jio has crossed 50 million customers in the three months since launching on September 1.
2) Jio will offer bouquet of data, calls and apps free of cost to customers from December 4 till March 31, 2017. It will also allow customers to migrate to Jio from other service providers.
3) The RIL chairman did not let this occasion go by without mentioning the lack of support from existing telecom operators as far as inter-connectivity is concerned. Ambani claimed that 900 crore calls from Jio customers to networks of other operators were dropped.
4) Ambani lauded the government’s demonetisation move, launching a digital wallet called the Jio wallet.
5) Keeping with the government’s Digital India Mission, Ambani announced that Jio will build a digital retail ecosystem to help small merchants. It will be called Money Merchant Solutions.
First Published: Dec 01, 2016 19:37 IST