Markets down, Sensex touches lowest closing of this year
The Bombay Stock Exchange benchmark Sensex plunged by over 830 points to 16,630.91, the lowest closing this year, with most of the heavyweights tumbling on frantic selling by funds on weak trends in the global stock markets.
Brokers said besides a weak global trend, sluggish debut of Reliance Power on the bourses added to the weak sentiment. Investors were awaiting its listing eagerly with hopes that a good premium would pep up the market, they added.
The 30-stock benchmark Sensex plummeted by 833.98 points at 16,630.91, after touching the day's low of 16,457.74 and a high of 17,427.34 points.
In a similar fashion, the National Stock Exchange index Nifty dropped by 263.35 points at 4,857.00 as almost all index-linked stocks fell sharply. It touched the day's low of 4,803.60 and a high of 5126.40 points.
The Anil Ambani group firm Reliance Power fell to Rs 355.05 from its issue price of Rs 450. Reliance Power is a unit of Reliance Energy.
Finance ministers and central bankers statement, after a meeting, in Tokyo that "downside risks persist" for the global economy also contributed to today's downfall, brokers said.
Stocks of metal, capital goods, oil and gas, realty, public sector undertaking and banking sectors suffered the maximum today.
However bucking the weak trend, IT shares led by Infosys Technologies remained firm, lifting the sectoral index higher by 4.82 points at 3,843.34.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- The 15th Finance Commission has recommended that states be given 41 per cent of the divisible tax pool of the Centre during the period 2021-22 to 2025-26, which is at the same level as was recommended by the 14th Finance Commission.
- Here’s a list of some of the tasks which need to be performed by taxpayers before March 31
- In an interaction with members of the Indian Women’s Press Corps (IWPC), Sitharaman said that consumer sentiment about the tax burden on auto fuel was understandable.
- Nearly 1.1 million vaccine doses were administered to people above the age of 60 and those in the 45-59 age group till Thursday.
- Mohapatra said the idea came during Modi’s meeting with Marriott International president and chief executive Arne Sorenson, who complained about the complex regulations in starting and running a hotel in India.
- ICICI Bank’s move comes days after rival lenders such as State Bank of India (SBI), Kotak Mahindra Bank and Housing Development Finance Corp. Ltd cut their home loan rates.
- These votes will have to be disclosed to unit holders under existing regulations. Voting will be at the MF level (rather than scheme level).
- Supply of vehicles from Maruti Suzuki India Ltd—as part of the alliance with Suzuki Motor Corp—has helped Toyota increase its domestic market share in the premium hatchback and entry-level SUV segment, where it was not present before.
- The top three states by GVA were Maharashtra, Gujarat, and Tamil Nadu. They had a share of 41% in the total GVA. Rural India added nearly as much GVA (49%) as urban India (51%).
- Using average consumption shares to calculate the burden of an indirect tax has a problem.