Agreement with Jat leaders fails to take off?
Differences appeared among jat leaders agitating in Haryana to press for reservation in government jobs under OBC quota with a section on Sunday threatening to intensify their stir.
The decision to intensify the agitation was announced at village Ramayan after the khap (caste council) leaders who had announced withdrawal of stir yesterday following talks with chief minister Bhupinder Singh Hooda failed to turn up to brief the action committee that is spearheading the protests.
Rejecting the agreement arrived at with the government the committee said that the jat activists would sit on railway tracks at Mehuwala near Fatehabad and Gajuwala on Hisar-Jakhal track from Monday.
Rail traffic on Hisar-Bhiwani route remained suspended for the 13th day today due to the Jats stir. Representatives of 25 khaps yesterday held talks for over two hours at the chief minister's residence here after which senior khap leader Nafe Singh Nain had said "It has been agreed that the agitating jats will suspend their stir and wait for the haryana backward classes commission report which is expected to be submitted to the state government shortly."
Last year the community leaders had ended their stir on March 26 after a promise of setting up of a haryana backward classes commission. Nain and another khap leader Baljit Singh Malik said they have been told that the Commission's report will be submitted in the next few months.
Besides Hooda, parliamentary affairs minister Randeep Singh Surjewala also participated in the meet. On February 27 the khaps had served an ultimatum to the government to accept their demands within three days and the deadline was later extended by another three days.