In a first, Kolkata gets boat library
The West Bengal Transport Corporation in collaboration with a heritage book store here has launched a children's library on a boat, the first of its kind initiative, an official said.
The idea behind the boat library is that one can read books while appreciating the beauty of Kolkata, cruising on the Hooghly river, he said.
Children will be able to choose from a selection of 500 titles in English and Bengali on the Young Readers' Boat Library.
"The boat library would take people on a three-hour- long trip," the official said.
The trip will start at Millenium Park, and the boat will travel to Belur Math jetty and return, he said.
There will be three trips on all weekdays, he said on Tuesday.
The boat has a free wifi facility as well.
A ride on the boat would cost ₹100 for adults and ₹50 for children.
The library will host activities such as storytelling, dramatised readings, poetry sessions, book launches, music and more, he said.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- The opposition leader is also scheduled to meet senior TMC minister Firhad Hakim and hold talks about the upcoming Bengal polls.
- The BJP lodged a complaint in the Phoolbagan police station. Senior BJP leaders of the state rushed to the spot to take stock of the situation.
- The TMC asked the EC why the polls could not be held in fewer phases.
- She alleged that the poll panel scheduled the election dates keeping in mind the BJP’s demands.
- The CBI earlier questioned Bengal chief minister Mamata Banerjee’s nephew and Trinamool Congress (TMC) MP Abhishek Banerjee’s wife Rujira Banerjee in the case.
- Besides rallies, the chief minister’s itinerary could include religious stopovers at important places of worship.
- "Modi government only makes false promises, has done nothing to bring down fuel prices," PTI quoted the Bengal chief minister as saying.
- According to CBI officials privy to the development, Rujira was questioned for around an hour.