Australia begin India tour with warm-up match
The visiting Australian cricket team officially started their tour of India with a warm-up three-day match against the Board President's XI team at the picturesque Sector 16 stadium in Chandigarh on Saturday.
The Australian side, led by Ricky Ponting, opted to bat first in the warm-up game after winning the toss.
Shane Watson and Simon Katich opened the innings for the Australian side. The team scored 38 runs, without losing any wicket, in the first 12 overs.
The match here was greeted by bright sunshine on Saturday following two days of incessant rainfall over the city earlier this week.
The Board President's XI team is led by Gautam Gambhir.
The Australia team will play two Test matches and three one-day international (ODI) matches against the Indian cricket team in this series.
The first Test match begins at the Punjab Cricket Association (PCA) stadium at Mohali, 10 km from Chandigarh.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- India vs England: From being left out of India's Playing XI to smashing a third Test century, Rishabh Pant finds himself on a different playing field.
- In a previous era, it wouldn’t have come as a big surprise, but India’s current set of lower-order players have built a reputation as tough fighters.
- India vs England: Former England captain Michael Vaughan said Joe Root and Co. made Axar Patel look like a combination of Derek Underwood and Bishan Singh Bedi.
- India vs England: Acknowledging that it is difficult to keep Rishabh Pant quiet, England captain Joe Root said it takes a lot of skill and courage to reverse sweep a bowler like James Anderson who has 600 wickets to his name.
- New world No.1 India put England out of their misery on Day 3 of the final Test to win the series 3-1 and qualify for the World Test Championship.