I won’t make the mistakes again: Symonds
Troubled Australian all-rounder Andrew Symonds expressed remorse on Tuesday over the "gone fishing" scandal and said he wanted to play for his country again.Updated: Sep 16, 2008, 23:48 IST
Troubled Australian all-rounder Andrew Symonds expressed remorse on Tuesday over the "gone fishing" scandal and said he wanted to play for his country again.
The 33-year-old was axed from Australia's upcoming tour of India after opting to go fishing rather than attend a compulsory team meeting during their one-day series against Bangladesh in Darwin last month.
It was just the latest drama to engulf him during the past year.
He was involved in an on-field dispute with Indian spinner Harbhajan Singh, upset Australian officials by declaring he would not play in Pakistan and was fined for missing a team bus in the West Indies.
There has been consistent speculation over whether he will turn his back on international cricket and instead ply his trade in the Twenty20 Indian Premier League, but he insisted Tuesday he wanted to play for Australia again.
"I'm going through the process of trying to improve and become not only a better cricketer but a better person," he said here in his first comments since the scandal.
"I'm looking forward to the challenge of taking up cricket again for my club, state and, country hopefully."
Symonds, who is undergoing counselling, has apologised to his family, his teammates and cricket fans for his behaviour.
He said he lived his life "for the moment" but knew he needed to change.
"I'm in a position of responsibility, I can't live irresponsibly," he said.
"I've realised that and it's probably taken me longer than it should have."
Symonds said his rise from state player to international superstar had been difficult to cope with.
"You get something cast over you which you have no control over. Being recognised is something I deal with well sometimes and other times not so well," he told the media. It was not clear when he would play cricket again. His first chance to resume his international career would be in Australia's home series against New Zealand, with the opening Test at the Gabba in Brisbane from November 20-24.