Symonds loses Cricket Australia contract: official
Cricket Australia said today that it had withdrawn its contract offer to disgraced allrounder Andrew Symonds, sent home from the World Twenty20 after the latest in a series of alcohol-related indiscretions. Selectors have added (fast bowler) Shaun Tait to the contract list for the coming year.cricket Updated: Jun 12, 2009 17:02 IST
Cricket Australia said on Friday that it had withdrawn its contract offer to disgraced allrounder Andrew Symonds, sent home from the World Twenty20 after the latest in a series of alcohol-related indiscretions.
"Cricket Australia has advised Andrew Symonds that his contract offer for the next contract year (starting July 1) has been withdrawn," CA chief operations manager Michael Brown said.
"Selectors have convened and have added (fast bowler) Shaun Tait to the contract list for the coming year."
Brown said Symonds would still be clear to play in Australia and he hoped the big-hitting allrounder would continue to play for his state Queensland in the domestic competition.
The player's manager, Matt Fearon, has confirmed that the unpredictable Symonds has received inquiries from teams looking to contract him, including English counties and South African provinces.
Symonds said when he arrived home last weekend from the Twenty20 in England he had "a fair bit to consider" about his playing career after his latest disciplinary issue.
He was a success in the Indian Premier League, helping the Deccan Chargers to the Twenty20 title in South Africa last month and has another year left on his Deccan contract.
First Published: Jun 12, 2009 07:31 IST