Talks fail, India tour of South Africa in limbo
It has become quite evident that the fate of India’s tour to South Africa will depend on the outcome of the BCCI meeting on September 29. As of now, arrangements for India’s scheduled tour of South Africa will remain in limbo.cricket Updated: Sep 18, 2013 10:29 IST
It has become quite evident that the fate of India’s tour to South Africa will depend on the outcome of the Board of Control for Cricket in India’s Annual General Meeting on September 29.
Not that the decision will be taken on the basis of the merits and demerits of the tour, far from it, the tour’s fate is likely to depend on which group comes to power.
Given how upset the current regime has been in dealing with Cricket South Africa’s CEO Haroon Lorgat, N Srinivasan’s continuation in the president’s chair will not augur well for the SA tour. On the other hand, if the Sharad Pawar-IS Bindra camp manages a coup, CSA can hope of a better deal.
As of now, arrangements for India’s scheduled tour of South Africa will remain in limbo.
As was expected, there was no headway made during the meeting between Lorgat and Sanjay Patel, the BCCI secretary, in Dubai on Monday night.
The tour had been originally scheduled to start on November 18 and included three Tests, seven ODIs and two Twenty20 internationals.
Now, doubts have been raised about the tour with India having arranged a tour by West Indies and to New Zealand which clash with the start and end of the fixtures published by South Africa.
Lorgat’s statement said it all: “After listening to Sanjay, it is clear we will now have to wait for the BCCI’s AGM to be completed before any tour schedule can be confirmed.
“It is key for all of us to make sure the good relationship between our respective boards is maintained and, in fact, strengthened and that we also honour the proud history between our two countries.”
Lorgat added that there had been discussions between the presidents of the two boards.
“We will now arrange for them to meet soon after the BCCI AGM,” he said.
The appointment of Lorgat is believed to have upset key members of the BCCI due differences which arose when Lorgat was the International Cricket Council CEO. The CSA statement said no further comments would be made about the tour until after the BCCI meeting.
The BCCI officials have been suggesting that even if the tour goes ahead, nothing more than two Tests and three one-day internationals will be possible, although that could lead to heavy losses for CSA that had pinned its revenue on this lucrative tour.
First Published: Sep 18, 2013 02:08 IST