This is how Indian cricketers reacted on hearing the reappointment of Ravi Shastri as head coach
India coach Ravi Shastri, who was recently given a second-term in the position by the three-member Cricket Advisory Committee (CAC) appointed by the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI), revealed how the players reacted to his re-appointment. Shastri pipped former New Zealand coach Mike Hesson and former Australia batsman Tom Moody to get the role.
Speaking in an interview to Times of India, Shastri said that the players were happy with the news. “They were very happy. The boys walked up to me and conveyed what they felt and there was a general sense of agreement that we’ve got to buckle up once again and start looking forward,” the former India international said.
Shastri further added that the players are eager to work on the challenges in front of them. “They know the challenges that lie ahead and they’re eager to counter them,” he said.
Shastri was the favourite to retain his job and Committee comprising of Kapil Dev, Anshuman Gaekwad and Shantha Rangaswamy decided that Shastri was the perfect person out of the five candidates to take Indian cricket forward. They called it a close race with Tom Moody and Mike Hesson and Shastri got the job due to a variety of factors including communication skills.
This will now be Shastri’s fourth stint with the national team, having served briefly as the Cricket Manager (2007 tour of Bangladesh), Team Director (2014-2016) and head coach (2017-2019). So let’s look at all the stats and number of Shastri’s reign as Team India head coach.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- India vs England: Waugh said that pitches which offer turn from Day 1 of a Test match are not acceptable.
- India vs England: "I feel that he's an absolute Rockstar, one of the biggest match winners that India has ever produced," Chopra said.
- Jadeja has been a standout performer for India with both bat and ball in the last one year. But Team India hasn’t missed him much as Washington Sundar and Axar Patel have made their debuts in his absence and displayed that they belong in international cricket.
- 28 out of 30 wickets fell to spinners. England team management got their strategy wrong as they went in with three seamers on turning track.
- Yet, there is a legitimate issue here. The definition of a "good surface" may simply be a matter of one person's opinion against another's; but the very structure of Test cricket, it's 5-day format, demands a surface that has a reasonable chance to support play for five days.
- With several former cricketers claiming that the Ahmedabad pitch was a bad one, former India cricketer Deep Dasgupta said that he does not agree with the viewpoint.
- Former India batsman Gautam Gambhir weighed in on the topic, saying that even though he does not agree with Yuvraj on his opinion, he still believes Anil Kumble and Harbhajan Singh would have ended their careers with a lot more wickets.
- IND vs ENG: Kohli has scored two fifties in the series but has not been able to convert it to a hundred yet.