Woolmer murdered by rare weedkiller: reports
British media claims Bob Woolmer may have been poisoned with a rare "weedkiller", traces of which are found on his champagne glass.cricket Updated: May 06, 2007 14:18 IST
Bob Woolmer may have been poisoned with a rare "weedkiller", traces of which were found on his champagne glass, British media claimed on Sunday.
British daily Sunday Times on Sunday quoted sources close to the Jamaica police as saying that high concentrations of a herbicide were discovered in the murdered Pakistan cricket coach's stomach and traces were found on the inside and outside of a glass from which he had been drinking champagne.
"Everything was contaminated. The stomach content, the glass, everything. There was enough to kill him," a source said.
The weedkiller is so rare that the police have yet to establish whether it is available in Jamaica and they are focusing on two bottles of champagne gifted to him. One had been emptied and the other was left untouched.
"We think it's something very unusual, that you can't even buy in Jamaica. We don't know what form it was in, whether liquid or crystal."
"The weedkiller was certainly in the glass. We are not sure whether it was in the bottle. Until we get further results we can't confirm it," the source added.
It is not known whether he shared the bottle of champagne with another person, the paper said.
58-year-old Woolmer, who has been cremated in Cape Town last week, had died in his Jamaica Pegasus hotel room on March 18, hours after Pakistan had been knocked out of the World Cup following their defeat to minnows Ireland.
First Published: May 06, 2007 14:01 IST