4 of family killed in fire in Delhi a day after daughter’s birthday celebration

Delhi Fire Service officials found the bodies of two children, their father and grandfather on the stairs of the building in east Delhi’s Dilshad Garden. Firefighters said they died of suffocation

delhi Updated: Jul 11, 2017 11:44 IST
Shiv Sunny and Karn Pratap Singh
Shiv Sunny and Karn Pratap Singh
Hindustan Times, New Delhi
Fire breaks out,East Delhi,Dishad garden
Charred remains of two wheelers gutted in a massive fire that broke out at a residential colony in east Delhi on Friday morning. (Ravi Choudhary/HT Photo )

Four people of a family, including two kids, died due to asphyxiation and two others were injured while trying to escape in an early morning fire at a four-storey building in Dilshad Garden area of Delhi on Friday. The family had gone to sleep after celebrating the birthday of Harshu who had turned 12 on Thursday. She was killed in the fire along with her younger brother, father and grandfather.

The fire department officials said that while the fire was ‘mild’, the victims died of suffocation as the first-floor of the building got filled with smoke due to the fire in the two-wheelers parked on the ground floor. Fire started from the electricity metre board installed on the ground floor of the building.

“Two men and two children have died in the incident. Two women were also in injured in the incident. The four dead and one of the injured women are from the same family. The victims were found dead on the staircase and it seems the family on the first-floor were trying to escape and got trapped in the smoke,” chief fire officer Atul Garg told Hindustan Times. The victims were identified as Vijay Kumar Verma (63), Sanjay Verma (45), Harshu (12), Chiku (4). The children’s mother, Mona Verma, was admitted to a hospital with 40% burns.

Occupants of the other floors escaped the fire as they went to their balcony or on the rooftop, Garg added.

Fire department officials said 11 fire tenders were pressed into service to douse the fire. However, help got delayed as fire tenders could not reach the spot due to the vehicles parked on both sides of the colony road.

As per initial probe, fire started from the electricity metre box installed on the ground floor. “The fire soon also spread to two-wheelers parked close by. Eleven two-wheelers have also been gutted in the fire,” Grag added.

Dilshad Garden had witnessed a similar incident in February last year when a family of four died in an early morning fire that broke out in north east Delhi’s Dilshad Garden. A short-circuit was suspected to be the cause.

The deceased were identified as Pradeep Jaiswal (59), his son Rajan (34), Rajan’s wife Anuja (33) and their son Anshul (8). The Jaiswals ran a dry cleaning unit at their flat in the M block DDA colony of Dilshad Garden.

First Published: Jul 07, 2017 09:54 IST