3G services to go forward, says PC
Clearing the deck for an early launch of 3G services including video calls, the government is drawing up rules to enable telecom operators launch the services before setting up interception facilities. HT reports.Updated: Jan 05, 2011 00:54 IST
Clearing the deck for an early launch of 3G services including video calls, the government is drawing up rules to enable telecom operators launch the services before setting up interception facilities.
The home ministry had earlier stalled launch of 3G services after telecom operators failed to put mechanisms in place to enable intelligence agencies to monitor certain services such as video calls in real time.
But the telecom operators had cried foul, promising to set up the necessary facilities within six months.
Home minister P Chidambaram said the idea wasn't to interrupt or delay the 3G services and the ministries of telecom and home were working together to put some rules and norms for intercepting or monitoring of 3G transactions in the interest of national security.
"The idea is to allow 3G services to go forward even while monitoring mechanisms are put in place… So no one needs fear that the 3G services will be interrupted or delayed," Chidambaram said at his monthly press conference where he highlighted the "dramatic change" in the situation in the Northeast last year.
Chidambaram said most insurgent groups in the Northeast were in talks with the government or were poised to commence talks.
"In 2011, I look forward to agreements being reached with many of the groups and bringing them into the mainstream of politics and society," he said ahead of the government beginning to hold dialogue with the United Liberation Front of Asom.
The home minister, however, noted with concern the continuing and increasing Naxal violence.
"It will be apparent that the Naxalites have not only spurned the offer of talks but have also escalated the conflict," Chidambaram said.
First Published: Jan 05, 2011 00:52 IST