HT Image
HT Image

Dr Talwar sent to judicial custody

Dentist Rajesh Talwar, whose three-day police remand ended today, is accused of murdering his daughter Aarushi and domestic help Hemraj on May 16.
PTI | By HT Correspondent, Noida
UPDATED ON MAY 30, 2008 06:47 PM IST

Rajesh Talwar, a leading dentist and prime accused in the Noida twin murder case, was on Friday sent back o judicial remand till June six after police failed to find any trace of murder weapons, blood stained clothes and other evidence in the course of three days of his interrogation.

Talwar, who was questioned at an undisclosed location for the past three days, was taken to Haridwar by the police to collect more evidence but they drew a blank.

Investigators did not seek extension of Talwar's police remand alleging that he was not cooperating with the probe and "just wasting" their time by "misleading" them.

Police has pressed for conducting Talwar's narco-analysis and brain mapping tests, the hearing for which is likely to be on June two.

They insisted that scientific tests were needed to unravel the case as the accused was "not coming out" with any substantial disclosures.

As police did not seek his remand, Talwar will have to spent seven more days in jail to complete the 14-day judicial remand, which was ordered on May 23.

Talwar, accused of killing his daughter Arushi and family help Hemraj, had already spent four days in judicial custody and three days in police remand.

Police handed over Talwar to Dasna Jail authorities this afternoon shortly before the remand period ended.

Meanwhile, a member of National Commission of Women, Nirmala Venketesh, who met Arushi's mother Nupur, said the latter had provided her some details about the matter which she cannot reveal.

Arushi, a class IX student of DPS Noida, was found with her throat slit and head hammered in her Noida Sector 25 residence on May 16 morning and the family help's body was discovered in the terrace a day later.

Talwar was arrested by the Noida police, who charged him with killing both Arushi and Hemraj. The police claimed that the dentist had killed Arushi in a fit of rage after he found her with Hemraj in an "objectionable" position. They alleged that Talwar took Hemraj to the terrace and killed him.

Talwar, whose whereabouts were kept secret during his three-day police remand which was to end this evening, was taken to this temple-town this morning as he and his family had come here a day after his daughter Arushi's murder to perform last rites.

Accompanied by policemen in plain clothes, Talwar was taken through the streets where a battery of media persons followed him.

Police also questioned Upendra Pancholi, the head priest of temple who supervised the performance of last rites, to get more details.

"Police came and questioned me. They asked me about the date and timing of the girl's death entered in our records," Pancholi said.

Apart from Talwar, the priest said the dentist's wife Nupur, brothers Dinesh and Ramesh and doctor-friend Bharat Bhushan were present on the occasion.

Story Saved