Modi acts on SC police reform order
The Narendra Modi Government has taken steps to implement the Supreme Court judgment on police reforms. In a fresh affidavit, the state government’s home department said the legislature has enacted the law “within the spirit of the directions of the court” by amending the Bombay Police Act of 1951.
The draft of the amended police Act has been entrusted to the State Law Commission for further scrutiny. Once cleared, the government will consider implementing the new Act.
The proposed amendment aims at fixing the tenure of the director general and inspector general of police and curbing misuse of powers by officers. The new Act lays down that the tenure will be two years, irrespective of the date of superannuation.
The amended Act also talks about separation of the investigation and the law and order wings.
A chapter for the creation of a state security commission, a police establishment board and a state police complaints authority has also been inserted.
The complaints authority shall look into complaints against police officers of the rank of deputy superintendent and above.
The state security commission will be lay down guidelines for promoting “efficient, effective, responsive and accountable policing...”.
The police establishment board shall be authorised to transfer police inspectors and sub-inspectors and prescribe guidelines for their transfer.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- AAI tweeted video with along with a post that read, “AAI derives its strength from its women workforce. Maintaining individuality, these invincible women go beyond & above their call of duty to serve the nation.
- The CPCB report released on Sunday said that there are over 112 sites in India that are contaminated by toxic and hazardous substances.
- An infection is said to be endemic in a population when it is constantly maintained at a baseline level in a geographic area.
- The BJP dismissed the allegations as “baseless” and hit back, saying that the AAP should answer why the construction of the Signature bridge in north-east Delhi faced delays.
- In February that year, just before Holi, he went back to the Sadar Bazar trader with the water gun he had produced and also the Chinese one.
- Experts said such initiatives will ensure that the only continuous green space in the national capital is preserved.