PMO seeks dismissal of RTI appeal

Updated on May 31, 2007 09:51 AM IST
The destruction of a government file, thirty years ago, on the mysterious death of Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose is creating controversy.
HT Image
HT Image
PTI | By, New Delhi

The PMO has vehemently opposed before the Central Information Commission (CIC) an application seeking documents relating to destruction of a government file, thirty years ago, on the mysterious death of Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose.

The PMO was responding to a notice isued by CIC on a plea of 'Mission Netaji' - a Delhi based organisation - seeking information concerning destruction of a file, which contained reports of investigation into the circumstances leading to Netaji's death.

The file was destroyed by the government in 1972.

Mission Netaji's official Anuj Dhar had moved the CIC in November last year, after the Central Public Information Officer (CPIO) of PMO denied papers pertaining to destruction of its file titled "investigation into the circumstances leading to the death of Sri Subhas Chandra Bose."

The CPIO had said that the file was destroyed in 1972 during the routine process of review and weeding of old records.

The CIC which has fixed August 10 this year for hearing the issue had called for PMO's comments.

Terming the application as "not maintainable," PMO's Director and CPIO Kamal Dayani in his response to the Commission, on May 17, has called for its dismissal and has suggested that an appeal, with its Appellate Authority, should first have been made.

Dhar, however, contended that the CPIO's response to him had lacked information on particulars of PMO's Appellate Authority, to whom an appeal could have been made.

SHARE THIS ARTICLE ON
Close Story
QUICKREADS

Less time to read?

Try Quickreads

  • Two held as <span class='webrupee'>₹</span>4-cr rice fraud surfaces in Kaithal

    Two held as 4-cr rice fraud surfaces in Kaithal

    The matter came to light when the manager of the Haryana State Warehousing Corporation Ajay Kumar filed a complaint at the city police station for criminal breach of trust against Rakesh Kumar and his wife Shivani - owners of Maniram Overseas rice mill, and guarantors Akshay Kumar, Rajesh Kumar and Jagdeep Chahal. According to the investigation officer Jaipal Singh, an FIR under section 409 of the Indian Penal Code has been registered.

  • Station security officer Wing Commander PP Srivastava has sought an intensive patrolling in the area and said that the security of vital installations has become a necessary aspect keeping in view the present security scenario in the northern region. (HT image for representational purpose)

    Drone sighting: Patrolling to be strengthened around ‘highly sensitive’ Ambala air base

    Two days after two drones were spotted hovering near the Indian Air Force station in Ambala, superintendent of police Jashandeep Singh Randhawa on Wednesday visited the spot and conducted a 'detective and preventive' check in view of the security scenario. Two drones were seen on August 13 and 15 in the vicinity of the air base, after which an FIR was registered on Monday.

  • Delhi Lieutenant Governor VK Saxena. (Twitter/LtGovDelhi)

    For accepting bribe, Delhi LG recommends action against IAS officer

    Vinai Kumar Saxena has recommended action against Indian Administrative Service officer Udit Prakash Rai for allegedly accepting a 50 lakh bribe to grant “undue favours” to an executive engineer in two corruption cases, officials in the LG office said on Wednesday. Rai, a 2007-batch IAS officer of the AGMUT (Arunachal Pradesh, Goa, Mizoram and Union Territories) cadre, is currently posted as a special secretary in the health and family welfare department of the Delhi government.

  • The operation cell of the Chandigarh Police on Wednesday arrested a Nigerian for staying in the country without a valid visa. (Image for representational purpose)

    Chandigarh: Nigerian arrested for overstaying in India

    The operation cell of the Chandigarh Police on Wednesday arrested a Nigerian for staying in the country without a valid visa. He was arrested by the police team patrolling near the Sector-43 bus stand. The team had received inputs that a Nigerian was staying in India after his visa expiration and indulging in cheating people through fake ID and messages. The police have also seized the mobile phone recovered from him.

  • An Ambala man has been booked for allegedly duping a former armyman of <span class='webrupee'>₹</span>21.4 lakh by selling plots in an unapproved colony that never belonged to him at Defence Colony area in cantonment. (Image for representational purpose)

    Ambala: Ex-armyman loses 21.4 lakh to fraudster

    An Ambala man has been booked for allegedly duping a former armyman of ₹21.4 lakh by selling plots in an unapproved colony that never belonged to hAbhishek Malikat Defence Colony area in cantonment, police said on Wednesday. A case under sections 406 and 420 of the IPC has been registered against Malik at Mahesh Nagar police station.

SHARE
Story Saved
×
Saved Articles
Following
My Reads
Sign out
New Delhi 0C
Thursday, August 18, 2022
Start 15 Days Free Trial Subscribe Now