After commerce, can I apply for BSc home science? | education | Hindustan Times
  • Tuesday, Jul 17, 2018
  •   °C  
Today in New Delhi, India
Jul 17, 2018-Tuesday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

After commerce, can I apply for BSc home science?

There was a shower of queries from admission-hopefuls and anxious parents at the DU Open Day

education Updated: May 26, 2010 09:31 IST
Nitin Sreedhar
Nitin Sreedhar
Hindustan Times

Even though the summer is raining fire on the capital, it did not stop admission hopefuls and their anxious parents from attending the Open Day sessions of Delhi University (DU) at Zakir Husain College. There was a shower of queries from concerned parents and their wards. The questions varied from doubts on BElEd (Bachelor of elementary education) to the Combined Aptitude Test for English (CATE), and hostel facilities. The sessions included a half-an-hour presentation on the university by student counsellors, followed by the Q and A conducted by SK Vij, dean, Students’ Welfare (DSW), DU, Novy Kapadia, associate professor in English , Khalsa College, Gurpreet Singh Tuteja, deputy DSW, DU and Seema Parihar, deputy DSW, DU. Some of the questions asked were:

I have a commerce background. Can I apply for BSc in home science?
Yes, you can apply for the BSc pass programme. You will require a minimum of 40 per cent marks in English. And you will have to opt for English and at least one subject from home science.

Can you provide some information on BElEd?
The BElEd is a four-year programme. It is aimed at providing you training in teaching and elementary education. It is only for the female candidates. There will be an entrance for it on June 19. Those clearing the entrance will be called for interviews on July 2 and 3.

When can I get the forms for BElEd and what type of questions can be asked in the test?
The forms will be available till June 4. Regarding the type of questions, you can take a look at the sample papers on

Is there any procedure for the students who dropped a year?
Yes. If you have gone through any sort of diploma course or any short-term course, then you have to submit the required certificate as proof. Or you can submit an affidavit.

Are there any courses on journalism and mass communication?
Yes. There is a Bachelor of Mass
Media and Mass Communication programme but it is available only at IP College for Women.

What kind of questions can be asked in the entrance for the BMMMC?
The questions will be on GK and some of them will put your English language skills to test. So it would be best if you brush up your current affairs.

I had commerce without maths in Class XII. Can I opt for BCom honours from the School of Open Learning (SOL)?
Yes. But you will be eligible only if you have a minimum of 60 per cent marks in the best of four.

In which colleges is NCC or NSS available?
NCC and NSS are present in almost all the colleges. These include Zakir Husain College, Khalsa College, Kirori Mal College, Ramjas and Miranda House.
We give you the B and C certificates. We also put you through field tests and other activities.

What about students from other states?
Students from outside Delhi have the facility of the centralised form. It is a student-friendly form.
We do not require any photographs or documents. We just require your name, gender and date of birth. It is very appropriate for outstation candidates, as any of their relatives or friends can fill up the form on their behalf. We also do not require any signature. We just need your roll number. All the formalities can be completed with the help of your roll number.

I am from the pure science group. Can I pursue biotechnology?
Biotechnology is not available at the undergraduate level. It is only taught in engineering and you can pursue that from Delhi Technological University.
You can instead opt for botany or zoology at the UG level in Delhi University and then pursue biotechnology at the postgraduate level.