Delhi HC reserves verdict on scrapping of management quota
The schools on Tuesday submitted a list of 10 criteria such as national and sports awardees, musicians, first child, girl child, children of martyrs and school transport staff to give extra points during admissions.Updated: Feb 03, 2016, 19:04 IST
The Delhi high court on Tuesday reserved its verdict on petitions filed by private schools pleas challenging the AAP government’s January 6 order to scrap all 62 criteria, including management quota, for entry level admissions.
Justice Manmohan said he would pass an interim order after the private schools agreed with the court’s suggestion and confine their challenge to limit their challenge to only 10 to 11 criteria.
The schools on Tuesday submitted a list of 10 criteria such as national and sports awardees, musicians, first child, girl child, children of martyrs and school transport staff to give extra points during admissions.
The Delhi government had on January 6 scrapped 62 “arbitrary and discriminatory” criteria, including management quota, listed by schools on their websites for admissions but retained the 25% quota for economically weaker sections (EWS).
The high court had earlier allowed the parents to apply as per the 62 criteria but said that it would be subject to court’s “final orders”.
The court was hearing pleas filed by the Action Committee Unaided Recognised Private Schools and Forum for Promotion of Quality Education For All, seeking quashing of the A AP government’ s January 6 order.
They claimed that the order was “without jurisdiction and contrary to and violative of various judgments passed by the Supreme Court as well as by various benches of the high court, relating to the autonomy of private unaided schools to regulate their admissions”.
Deputy CM Manish Sisodia had condemned schools for running quotas.