Bachchans' world tour opens in Canada
Bollywood glamour couple Aishwarya Rai and Abhishek Bachchan have launched in Toronto the multi-million dollar "Unforgettable" tour, a 40-day song and dance extravaganza across the globe also featuring iconic actor Amitabh Bachchan and other A-listers from Hindi film industry.
"Unforgettable", which aims to promote India through entertainment all over the world, opened in this Canadian city on Friday night at the packed Rogers Centre.
Apart from Abhishek and Aishwarya, a number of other top stars like Preity Zinta, Akshay Kumar, Ritiesh Deshmukh and Shilpa Shetty enthralled the viewers with their performances.
The show is billed as a "best of" Indian cinema, with 70 songs from different films being reproduced on stage.
Explaining their reasons for choosing the Ontario capital for their first show, Abhishek said, "Toronto is a city very close to our hearts. It's a city that's always given us a lot of love and affection."
Former Miss World Aishwarya and her husband Abhishek, who have been dubbed as Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie of the Indian film industry, are confident they will gain legions of new fans in Canada thanks to the three-hour spectacular, which they are also due to perform everywhere from England to Kuwait and Singapore over the summer.
"Indian culture is a very musical culture," Abhishek said, adding "we like to celebrate every occasion. Our films are full of songs and dance."
"Indian cinema has burst onto a world stage and aroused a lot of interest in a Western audience," Abhishek said. "So, yes, we expect people who are not only from the Indian subcontinent to come to the show. We'll convert them once they see it, I assure you that!"
Bollywood patriarch Amitabh Bachchan, who lost his luggage en route to Toronto, said it was now a huge news back home.
"It's on national news in India because I mentioned it in my blog," he said at a news conference in Toronto, which was packed with members of ethnic press outlets as well all the major dailies and broadcasters.
Bachchan, who at 66 has more than 150 films to his credit, said: "Just before coming here we were delayed because I had to answer about 15 media questions on what the nature of my baggage was, and whether I was going to sue British Airways, and that I really should come on to the phone and talk to the media in India on national television."
He said the fact that Bollywood's hot, young power couple, his son Abhishek and daughter-in-law Aishwarya, are part of the tour persuaded him to take on the ambitious project.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Joe and Anthony Russo are bringing their Marvel Cinematic Universe experience to fleshing out the Extraction franchise, director Sam Hargrave has said.
- Vijay Deverakonda is touched by the overwhelming love from his fans after the release of the Liger poster. The film, directed by Puri Jagannadh, marks his pan-Indian debut.
- The Tandav team is having further dialogue with the Ministry of Information & Broadcasting over the complaints that have been filed against the show, creator Ali Abbas Zafar has said.
- Deepika Padukone said that because of the upbringing she got, she believes in taking care of her home herself, instead of outsourcing duties to her staff.
- Kamal Haasan's leg surgery on Tuesday morning was successful, a statement shared by his daughters Shruti and Akshara revealed. He will be discharged from the hospital in a few days.
- Rakhi Sawant said that she misses having a man in her life after her break-up with ex-boyfriend Abhishek Awasthi. She added that she has frozen her eggs and wants Abhinav Shukla to be the sperm donor.