Atrangi Re, ‘83, Bellbottom, Shershah: Release dates of big films raining in Bollywood
‘Good times are back’ seems to be the common sentiment in the Hindi film industry as of today. The past week has just been raising excitement among theatre-goers, with makers finally deciding to release their long-pending films after a year full of lull at the box office.
Confirmed release dates show the courage and confidence they have now, in both people trickling in to the halls despite the Covid pandemic, and it being profitable.
Producer Bhushan Kumar, who has announced release dates of a whopping five films- Satyameva Jayate 2, Chandigarh Kare Aashiqui, Atrangi Re, Jhund and Luv Ranjan’s untitled next, says, “With producers and theatre owners supporting each other, several of us have decided to release our films in theatres. We as a studio and my partner producers, definitely feel it is important we release big films to get our audiences to the theatres and support the industry. We will be announcing a few of our other films in the coming days.”
The trade fraternity is naturally happy with the developments. Trade analyst Joginder Tuteja says this was awaited, and it was time, since the South film industry had shown in the recent times how releasing in theatres is safe.
“A conversation must have happened between the Producers’ and Multiplex Association, that is where the entire thing was stuck. When big films come, smaller and medium budget films follow. This will have a domino effect, you can expect atleast 24 more films to be announced in the next one week,” he says.
Arguing on behalf of Bollywood to those who feel why didn’t Hindi films do it sooner like south films, he adds, “In the South, they have to take care of their region. Talking about pan India, this takes time. They have to see whether states have opened theatres or not, as they release on more than 4000 screens. Regional films get a 1000, and they are done, so we can’t blame why Bollywood was late.”
Shibashish Sarkar,CEO, Reliance Entertainment, which is behind Sooryavanshi and 83, says, “All big stars have announced their films, and with such announcements happening, it basically means producers are getting the confidence that if we release films, audiences will come to theatres.”
Devang Sampat, CEO, Cinepolis India, says theatres are ready to welcome their patrons with this barrage of releases.
“It was always a matter of who will take the first step, and after seeing what happened in the South, where big budget films like Master, and even small budget films did well. The latter was not expected, and the numbers were very encouraging. With 100 percent occupancy in most states, it was a matter of time before Bollywood would start blocking dates,” he opines.
Echoing similar sentiments is Rajender Jyala, Chief Programming Officer, INOX Leisure, who says, “We are ready and complying with all Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) gievn by Central and State government. Today, barring Maharashtra, Rajasthan, Jharkhand and Kerala, all states are operating at 100 percent capacity. We are happy and excited for 2021 now.”
Interact with the author on Twitter/ @RishabhSuri02
Follow @htshowbiz on Twitter
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Ishaan Khatter shared a throwback picture from their childhood to post a 'happy birthday' message for his half-brother, Shahid Kapoor.
- Alia Bhatt did a 'Gangubai Kathiawadi' style namaste to the paparazzi while greeting them during director Sanjay Leela Bhansali's birthday celebrations.
- On Divya Bharti's birth anniversary, here's revisiting an episode from her life when she married producer Sajid Nadiadwala and managed to keep it a secret from her father, who was opposed to the match.
- Shahid Kapoor said that he was with Mira Rajput in the labour room when she was giving birth to their daughter Misha. Mira 'whacked' Shahid when he got dizzy at one point.
- Parineeti Chopra, on being asked about a time in her life she would like to forget, said that she would like to erase her college days as she was 'hugely overweight' at the time.
- Tanishaa Mukherji wished her sister Kajol and brother-in-law Ajay Devgn on their 2nd wedding anniversary.
- Kangana Ranaut announced the release date of her upcoming Jayalalithaa biopic, Thalaivi, with a short teaser. The film, directed by AL Vijay, will release on April 23.
- Priyanka Chopra Jonas reacted to a social media user criticised her now-viral ball-shaped outfit. Earlier, Priyanka shared a bunch of memes inspired by her dress.
Birthday girl Sanya Malhotra: In my fifth year in Bollywood, it’s surreal, can’t believe I am living my dream
- Ayushmann Khurrana made sure to interact with his fans in Shillong by promptly coming down to meet them after they gathered at his Shillong hotel. Watch here
- After the death of singer Sardool Sikander on Wednesday, comedian Kapil Sharma shared a video from his daughter Anayra's first Lohri, when Sardool gave his blessings to the baby.
- The teaser of Sanjay Leela Bhansali's Gangubai Kathiawadi, starring Alia Bhatt in the titular role, was released on Wednesday. Watch it here.