Dates to remember
Couture, chocolate and a steep climb up the hills. Those were the ingredients for this calendar shoot, created by designer Narendra Kumar, model Lisa Haydon and photographer Prasad Naik, which brings into focus Switzerland’s business capital, Zurich.
“Though Zurich is the hub for Swiss Airways, it is not visited by most Indians, who usually travel to the mountains instead. People don’t know how much there is to do here, whether it’s biking, boating, shopping or clubbing,” says Kumar, adding, “The best part is that you need just three days to cover the entire city.”
Ask him for his number one tip to Zurich-bound travellers and he says, “Every week, they have some international artiste performing there. I got to see Pink Floyd, with tickets bought at the last minute, for barely 50 francs. It was the best concert of my life. If you’re going to be in the city for a few days, check the cultural calendar online in advance.”
Kumar also admits he rediscovered the joy of cycling, a mode of transport that’s popular in the eco-friendly city. “I couldn’t remember the last time I cycled,” he recalls. “But here cyclists have special tracks all over the city and around the lake, so it’s the best way to explore.”
For the outdoorsy tourist, he recommends hanging around Neiderdorf, which is located close to Lake Zurich in the older part of the city. “You can hang out on the banks of the Limmat River which is filled with restaurants and small stores. It will take you an entire day just to explore this one stretch. The lake is huge, and also offers opportunities to go boating and yachting,” he reveals.
If shopping is on your mind, then the designer recommends Bahnhoffestrasse, an avenue that is the city’s shopping lifeline. Lined with luxury boutiques and high-street stores, you can check out outlets like Globus (no, not the Indian departmental store) and another local chain Jelmoli, along with Louis Vuitton and Chanel.
After gobbling up some artisan chocolates in the Alice In Wonderland-esque chocolate store, Café Chaubert, Kumar suggests you hit up the party district, Langstrasse. “The nightclubs open at 11 pm and shut only around 6 am. But before you get there, aim for a meal at Rosso, a fabulous Italian restaurant where you’ll need to book a table well in advance,” he says.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Kareena Kapoor has changed the face of maternity fashion. From figure-flaunting dresses to dreamy kurtas and kaftans, the actor was seen wearing everything while expecting her second son. One of her outfits that created a lot of buzz was a sea green kurta set that the actor wore during a shoot.
- Priyanka Chopra recently took to Twitter and showed fans her new silver-framed spectacles. However, it was her stunning green well-fitted shirt that garnered all the attention.
- Shilpa Shetty is currently holidaying in the Maldives and giving us sartorial goals. The fashionista recently wore a gorgeous pink and yellow pleated saree dress worth ₹25k and looked absolutely fantastic.
- Meghan Markle and Prince Harry, who are expecting their second child together, made a surprise appearance at a recent virtual event. It was her gorgeous citrus print summer dress that stole the show.
- Bipasha Basu floods the Internet with sultry pictures straight from the Maldives beach in a black bikini layered with a barely buttoned-down cinnamon blue and ivory striped silk shirt dress which is a closet must-have for a summer or fall day | Check pictures and fashion cues inside
- Hello sunshine: Gauahar Khan adds all the missing beauty to our day with her ravishing pictures in a mesmerising mustard lehenga set with gota korpatti embroidery and we guess we have already found our fashion hero to take style cues from, for the next ethnic event this Spring