Fashion by numbers
By doubling the number of upcoming designers, the Wills India Lifestyle Fashion Week has had to rename its category ‘Hi 5 duo' .. from ‘Hi 5' (number of designers moving up from 5 to 10).
Surprisingly, the Lakme Fashion Week has done just the opposite. From 10 designers who participated in the Gen next category last season, the number has been reduced to seven.
Vice-President of Lakme Unilever, Anil Chopra clarifies, "It isn't a number game with Lakme Fashion Week. We don't have pre-determined numbers of how many designers we select." Tough screening He adds, "This time we have received 30 applications for the categor. Last season the number of applicants were less. The advisory board has streamlined and has selected the best out of the lot."
Gen Next category is the strength of LFW. In the past, designers like Sabyasachi Mukherjee, Rahul and Firdos and Dev and Nil emerged as success stories. But rumours have been rife that the participation doesn't actually fetch business to the newcomers. In support of " Gen Next designer is a fresh A er. He or she is not someone who's already into the business. When they participate, they get noticed for their creative abilities which is crucial for their career. After that, it depends on their designing calibre," Chopra states.
Senior designer and member of the advisory board, Wendell Rodricks, has also been assigned.. to look after the Gen Next designers and help choreograph and style their shows.
"We normally have two international stylists from Australia over. They will be here again for the coming Fashion Week. Wendell will specially look after the Gen Next category as his expertise will make it easy for the newcomers," Chopra beams.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- For her flight, Kiara Advani opted for an extremely comfy attire and wore an all-black velvet tracksuit. The Kabir Singh actor added a hint of elan to it with her high-end cross-body bag.
- Shanaya Kapoor oozes charms as she lays fashion inspiration, for resort wear this summer season, in a sizzling floral mini dress which is sure to make heads turns
- For her cousin's haldi ceremony in the Maldives, the Ek Villain actor Shraddha Kapoor opted to wear a white and sea blue lehenga choli set and look absolutely breathtaking.
- Vaani Kapoor raises the bar of ethnic fashion this season by stunning in a ₹1.5 lakh olive green sleeveless velvet kurta and sharara from Anita Dongre and we are bookmarking this opulent look for the next wedding
- For a promotional event of her upcoming film, Roohi, Janhvi Kapoor opted to wear a gorgeous floor-sweeping black dress and looked absolutely fantastic.
- Malaika Arora and Arjun Kapoor recently visited Kareena Kapoor Khan to meet the new baby. Malaika looked absolutely stunning in her pinstripe midi dress and matching accessories.
- Bipasha Basu’s sizzling looks from Maldives, set vacation vibes soaring high be it in a tangerine or floral print georgette kaftan by Varun Bahl and we can’t wait to let these contemporary styles jazz up our summer wardrobe without burning a hole in our pockets