Indian models rare in UK industry
Britain's fashion industry finds it difficult to recruit models from the Indian community because parents of Indian-origin do not approve of their children entering the glamour industry. Carole White, co-founder of a model management agency, said on the last day of the London Fashion week yesterday that parental disapproval affected recruiting models from the Indian and Pakistan communities in Britain.
White also regretted that clients such as magazines and fashion designers were reluctant to use models of Asian or Afro-Caribbean origin because of their non-white colour.
It was difficult to find work in the fashion industry for non-white models, White added. "Sadly we are in the business where you stock your shelves with what sells. According to magazines, black models don't sell. People don't tend to talk about it," White said.
Model management companies here have been reportedly told by clients that they did not want any "ethnic minority" models to work on their projects. White's comments are expected to reopen one of the most sensitive debates within the fashion industry, where the presence of racism has been a cause of fierce resentment in the past,
Trevor Phillips, chairman of the Equality and Human Rights Commission, said it was a misconception that black models were less versatile. Nick Knight, a fashion photographer, said the lack of non-white girls in the British fashion industry was "a pitiful reflection on the industry. But it's not just fashion, I work in film and advertising and it's the same level of racism".
Knight said that he had heard of editors not using black models on their covers because they believed they did not meet readers' expectations.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Erica Fernandes has been serving one steamy look after another during her stay at the Maldives, be it in a powder blue bodysuit or acid wash bustier-skirt and fashionistas can’t help but take notes to slay at the next beach vacation
- Sara Ali Khan’s white ruffle cold-shoulder playsuit at Manish Malhotra’s house party last month made jaws drop in awe and set the mercury soaring but the good news is that you can add the ravishing ensemble to your vacay wardrobe too without burning a hole in your pocket
- Bhagyashree gives fans a sneak-peek into her kitchen as she prepares organic oil to nourish her hair, claims it reduces hairfall when applied atleast once every week | Watch
- Hina Khan recently took to her social media and shared images of herself wearing a purple and pink tracksuit. We are guessing that this is what Barbie would look like in athleisure.
- For her flight, Kiara Advani opted for an extremely comfy attire and wore an all-black velvet tracksuit. The Kabir Singh actor added a hint of elan to it with her high-end cross-body bag.
- Shanaya Kapoor oozes charms as she lays fashion inspiration, for resort wear this summer season, in a sizzling floral mini dress which is sure to make heads turns