Long and short of frills
Frills may be recommended by most designers but not all are getting it right.
Actress Julianne Moore came wearing a feathery creation by Christian Lacroix at the Cannes Film Festival. Huge black flowers on the shoulders of a lemon yellow dress, along with heavy diamanté detailing.
What was she thinking? Star wreck Back home actress Deepika Padukone also tried the gownwith-frills look at an awards function, but didn't quite make an impression. And Ayesha Takia looked like she was about to drown in frills, at the recent IIFA awards in Bangkok. The odd ornaments hanging down the front of her blouse didn't help either.
Designer Nachiket Barve offers a simple tip: "The amount of frills in your outfit should be in inverse proportion to your age. Also, keep the detailing minimal." Designer Mandira Wirk seconds this opinion. "The frills should be on the collars and sleeves. Frills all over a dress can make you look horrendous. And if you are voluptuous to begin with, big frills will make you look fat," she says. Other options The best way to make a statement, feels designer Nainika Karan, is to stick to small frills on the hemline, neckline and sleeves.
Designer Nikhil Mehra of the Shantanu & Nikhil label says that structured frills accentuate a curvy figure. Men, he suggests, could stick to frill-inspired pleats.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Want to make a fashion statement in office while sticking to an easy fit no-fuss garment? Look no further as Bhumi Pednekar sorts your fashion woes with her radiant look in a dirt yellow and beige jumpsuit that is sure to steal all the spotlight at work
- 13-time PGA Tour winner, Justin Thomas was dropped as an ambassador by the fashion brand Ralph Lauren on Friday, after the golfer was caught uttering a homophobic slur last Saturday during a tournament.
- For Makar Sankranti celebrations at her home, Aditi Rao Hydari wore a breathtakingly beautiful anarkali suit that featured an exquisite floral print.
- Karisma Kapoor exudes the richness of sartorial traditions as she nails work from home fashion in a vibrant ready-to-wear handmade midi dress, in romantic pink hue, by Anita Dongre and we are smitten
- Sonam Kapoor Ahuja proves to be ahead of the fashion curve yet again as she looks like a dream while flaunting a sensual and generous silhouette in Stephane Rolland’s Imperial China inspired gown, ravishing pictures set the Internet ablaze
- Milan Fashion Week 2021: Though Dolce & Gabbana have withdrawn from the four-day men's fashion event, brands like Fendi, Etro and Kway are opting to broadcast live shows while Ermenegildo Zegna, Tod's, Prada and Church's have opted for pre-records as rising Covid-19 cases dampen the buzz in Italy
- Looking for a picnic date outfit to make a statement? Hina Khan is giving some inspiration in her white sheer lace dress. The actor, known for her impeccable sartorial sense, recently shared stunning images of herself and we are speechless.
- Janhvi Kapoor has made a name for herself as a fashionista. Time and again, the actor wears an outfit and inspires us to upgrade our wardrobe. This time, she is teaching us the correct way to do layering during winter season.
- Nora Fatehi again made headlines as she stepped out wearing a gorgeous beige kaftan dress. The dancer gave elegance a new meaning with her regal outfit.
- For the online promotions of The White Tiger, Priyanka Chopra donned the perfect Work From Home attire. The actor also opted to do her own makeup and we can totally relate.