Protect your skin from sunburn this summer. Follow these expert tips
Sunburn can affect you even if it’s a cloudy day, or you’re just swimming in the pool. Read on to know how you can protect yourself.Updated: May 16, 2018 10:09 IST
Are you dreading the perpetual sun exposure that comes along with summer? We don’t blame you. The scorching heat can be daunting. However, taking adequate precautions can help avoid sunburn. Puneet Madan, MD (Dermatology) at Doctor Insta, and beauty expert Aakriti Kochar share helpful tips and remedies you can follow:
* Always use sunscreen: Never step out in the sun without applying sunscreen. Apply sunscreen at least 15 minutes before going out and try and reapply every two to three hours. It is advisable to use a sunscreen with a sun protection factor (SPF) of 15 and above.
* Don’t be lenient when it’s cloudy: A cloudy day can give a false sense of security, but unfortunately the sun rays can even penetrate through the clouds and can give you sunburn. Even when it’s cloudy, remember to keep reapplying sunscreen.
* Don’t ignore lips, ears, scalp and feet: Lips, ears, scalp ad feet are the common parts which we usually forget to cover. Many lip balms nowadays come with SPF. For your feet, either wear covered shoes or socks to cover them, while your head and ears can be covered with a scarf. Don’t forget to apply sunscreen on your feet and ears too.
* Don’t forget sunscreen on the beach: Wear a sun block especially in coastal areas or while you’re in the water as the body tends to feel more burn in scorching heat when you are in water.
* After-sun measures: Always make sure to develop and maintain an after-sun routine like applying cooling lotion or coconut oil on sun burnt areas to avoid sunburn and soothe affected skin. Applying aloe vera on sun burnt areas also helps soothe sunburn, removes tan and helps reduce in stretch marks.
* Consume vitamin enriched foods: Consuming Vitamin D rich foods like fermented cod liver oil help supplement vitamin D balance in your body and build a stronger immune system against sun burns.
Follow @htlifeandstyle for more
First Published: May 16, 2018 10:03 IST