Electric shock is produced when electric current passes through human body in contact with earth.health and fitness Updated: Sep 18, 2003 21:21 IST
If any part of the body comes into contact with a live wire or with a cable from which current is leaking then the person gets an electric shock. In houses the blowing out of faulty switches, fuses or faulty electrical connections can cause such injury.
The injury may be mild or can be severe enough to cause death. Electric shock is produced only when an electric current passes through the human body, which is in contact with the earth. It passes even more quickly if the part is wet.
In wet conditions, even lower voltages may be dangerous. A very strong current passing through the legs may be much less dangerous than a weaker current passing through the chest especially so when it enters through the arms.
The Effects of Electric Shock
There may be fatal stoppage of the heart.
There may be sudden stoppage of breathing due to sudden paralysis of the muscles of breathing.
There may be burns that are either superficial or deep. They depend on the strength of the electric current causing the injuries.
First Published: Sep 18, 2003 21:21 IST