From the pantry: Coconut
Nothing short of a wonder fruit, coconuts lend themselves to complex and simple dishes across cuisinesHT48HRS_Special Updated: Feb 18, 2016 14:27 IST
A staple of coastal cuisine, each and every part of the coconut, including its refreshing water and sweet flesh, can be used in cooking. Coconut contains high levels of fibre and has a low glycemic index (GI). In this edition, our expert chef creates a simple broth with coconut milk and the winning reader recipe gives dried coconut a sweet spin.
Paleo coconut and seafood broth
Recipe by: Chef Glyston Gracias, chef manager, Smoke House Deli
Preparation time: 20 minutes
- Oil: 15ml
- Garlic: 5g
- Onion: 15g
- Mushroom: 30g
- Red chilli (fresh): 5g
- Prawns: 30g
- Basa: 50g
- Squid fish: 25g
- Fish stock: 150ml
- Coconut milk powder: 10g
- Arrowroot powder: 10g
- Kaffir lime leaf: 1
- Salt: 2 tsp
- Lime juice: 5ml
- Coriander leaves: 5g
* In a pan, add oil, garlic and onion. Sauté till translucent.
* Add mushrooms, slit red chillies, prawns, basa and squids. Cook it for about a minute.
* Add fish stock and bring the mixture to a boil.
* Simmer and finish the soup with coconut milk, arrowroot powder, kaffir lime, lime juice and coriander.
Winning reader recipe: Coconut Chocolate
Recipe by: Khushali Shah
Preparation time: 25 to 30 minutes ingredients
- Dried coconut: 2 tbsp
- Milk powder: 1 tbsp
- Milkmaid: 1 tbsp
- Dark chocolate: 150g
- Milk chocolate: 50g
* Mix dried coconut, milk powder and milkmaid to turn the mixture into dough.
* Divide the dough into small portions; these will be coconut centres for the chocolate.
* Melt dark chocolate and milk chocolate separately in a microwave for 45 seconds.
* Mix it for two to three minutes to bring it to room temperature.
* In a bowl, mix the two types of chocolate.
* In a mould, pour the melted chocolate, add the coconut balls and then pour some more chocolate. Make sure the coconut balls are covered in chocolate.
* Clean the edges and place it in the refrigerator for 15 to 20 minutes.
First Published: Feb 18, 2016 00:00 IST