Pregnancy care, here are 5 tips from experts on how to control vomiting
Nausea or morning sickness is one of the most dreaded pregnancy symptoms, and it is something that almost every pregnant woman has to go through, at least for the first three months.
“Up to 70% of expectant mothers experience nausea at some point during early pregnancy. Not only is it known to be one of the early signs of pregnancy, but it is a symptom that is common throughout the first trimester, and sometimes even longer,” says Dr Kiran Coelho, consultant gynaecology & obstetrics, Hinduja Healthcare Surgical.
In many women a certain smell or taste can trigger these episodes. And it gets worse on an empty stomach. “Morning sickness happens due to changes in the hormone called beta HCG. This hormone plateaus at 12 weeks,” says Dr Vandana Gawdi, consultant, gynaecology, Apollo Hospitals, Navi Mumbai.
Here’s how you can control vomiting during pregnancy
Eat light: “We advise pregnant women to eat something light every hour or two,” says Dr Gawdi.
Home remedies: Women can also try home remedies such as chewing on mint and ginger. “You can even dehydrate ginger along with a little salt and pop it in your mouth every few hours. You can even try honey, cardamom, cloves for instant relief,” she adds. You can even try sucking on some candy.
Avoid triggers: If you’ve figured that certain smells and tastes trigger nausea, it is best to avoid it.
Consult your doctor: If the nausea is too much to handle you can consult your doctor. “Having too much iron may cause nausea, and switching to a different vitamin could help,” says Dr Coelho adding, “ Also ask your healthcare provider about taking a vitamin B-6 supplement, which has proven to help reduce nausea and vomiting.”
Keep room well ventilated: “Have a fan close by, this will make breathing easier. If that’s not possible, take walks outdoors,” she adds.
Follow @htlifeandstyle for more
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Being high in fiber and sugar content, dates or khajur often leave people speculating about whether they should be consumed after soaking over night or raw or on empty stomach or before going to bed. Read on to know when is the best and worst time to eat dates
- Katrina Kaif recently hosted an Ask Me Anything session on Instagram and shared never seen before images and videos with her fans. She also posted about her healthy breakfast and intense fitness routine.
- Aditi Rao Hydari shows you how to do weight training without actually using weights in her latest fitness clip. Saying that this video is hilarious would be an understatement.
- A study done in the USA showed that wearing masks can actually curb the spread of the novel coronavirus. However, dining at restaurants, both in open area and inside, can increase the number of Covid-19 cases and deaths.
- As the new coronavirus variants spread and Covid-19 symptoms continue to increase and expand, here’s how you can locate the infection through these four kinds of skin changes
- Natasa Stankovic recently shared a workout video which is a mix of boxing and zumba. The extensive fitness session is inspiring us to stop procrastinating and start our weekend on a healthy note.