Amber Heard asks women to speak up against domestic violence
Amber Heard, whose own abuse allegations against former husband Johnny Depp made headlines earlier this year, recently opened up about her experience and encouraged other victims to “speak up” against domestic violence.
The 30-year-old teamed up with the ‘#GirlGaze Project’ to create an emotionally-charged two-minute video, where the actress speaks directly to the camera, urging women to “raise your voice” because it is the “most powerful” thing, reports E! Online.
“Speak up, speak up. Raise your voice, your voice is the most powerful thing and we, together, as women standing shoulder to shoulder cannot and will not any longer accept silence,” she encouraged.
At many points in the video, Heard is seen fighting back tears, as she describes in detail the “shame” she felt through her experience.
“I guess there was a lot of shame attached to that label of ‘victim,’“ Heard explained. “It happens to so many women. When it happens in your home, behind closed doors, with someone you love, it’s not as straightforward. If a stranger did this it would be a no-brainer.”
The Drive Angry star then reflected on the support she received from close confidants.
“If I hadn’t had a few people that I really trust around me, a few women support, a few friends. If I hadn’t had them around me, how different my life would be,” she shared.
Heard also expressed that she believed there should be a greater focus on the negative stigma attached to reporting instances of domestic abuse and how to combat it, instead of solely addressing the attackers.
“We need to take responsibility for how we talk about these things. The only way people are going to feel comfortable coming forward, raising their voices and standing up for themselves, is if we change the system in place that keeps them quiet,” Heard said.
At the end of the former couple’s lengthy divorce battle, Depp agreed to pay Amber a 7 million dollars settlement, all of which she requested be donated to the American Civil Liberties Union and Children’s Hospital of Los Angeles.
Follow @htshowbiz for more
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Chris Hemsworth, Natalie Portman and director Taika Waititi are currently filming Thor: Love and Thunder in Australia. A few photos and a video from the sets have leaked online.
- Chrissy Teigen took to Instagram to post pictures and videos from a recent night out with husband, singer John Legend, where she enjoyed some popular Bollywood music.
- Judas and the Black Messiah movie review: Daniel Kaluuya and Lakeith Stanfield deliver extraordinary performances in Shaka King's politically charged film, co-produced by Ryan Coogler.
- Coming 2 America movie review: Eddie Murphy and Arsenio Hall reunite for the dull and boring sequel to their cult hit.
- Raya and the Last Dragon movie review: Kelly Marie Tran and Awkwafina put their own twist on the Mulan-Mushu dynamic in Disney's latest animated adventure.
- Chris Evans shared a video montage of his friend visiting the sets of Captain America: The First Avenger and reacting to his scenes.
- Kristen Stewart has been filming for her upcoming movie, Spencer. The Twilight star plays the role of Princess Diana in the movie.
- Nick Jonas revealed he began the making of his upcoming album Spaceman when his wife and actor Priyanka Chopra was filming for The Matrix 4 in Germany.
- Actor Gal Gadot and her husband Jaron Varsano are expecting their third child together. The Wonder Woman actor posted a cute family picture to make the announcement.
- Chadwick Boseman's wife Simone Ledward broke down while accepting his posthumous Golden Globe for Ma Rainey's Black Bottom.
- Mark Ruffalo received the Best Actor in a Limited Series or TV Movie for I Know This Much Is True... at the Golden Globe Awards 2021. The actor, in his acceptance speech, spoke about "Mother Earth."
- The Golden Globe Awards 2021 winners were announced on Sunday, February 28. From The Crown to Schitt's Creek and I Care A Lot, here’s who bagged the trophies.
- The Golden Globe Awards 2021 took place this weekend and Twitter couldn't help but point out the chaos that unfolded at the awards show.
- Hollywood Foreign Press Association (HFPA) were called out by several celebrities for their lack of diversity in their ranks. After stars chanted "Time's Up Globes", the HFPA issued a statement assuring a change in the making.