Avengers Infinity War writers reveal why they ended the movie with a snap
Christopher Markus and Stephen McFeely, the writers behind Avengers: Infinity War, spoke to the New York Times about sequels - specifically second installments - and why they chose to end Infinity War with a cliffhanger.
Markus said that the reason they split the story into two parts wasn’t because there was too much story to tell, but because it was always part of the plan to end this iteration of the Marvel Cinematic Universe with a two-part finale. They said that they had always intended to end the first film with the infamous ‘snap’ - the moment the supervillain Thanos unites all six Infinity Stones and snaps his fingers to ‘kill’ half the universe’s population, including half the Avengers.
Markus said that there was an initial draft of the script in which the snap happened right at the end, “But what we realised is, it would feel more like a cliffhanger than we intended,” he said. Instead, they wrote a script for part 1 “that went all the way to a tragic ending. And then one where mysterious things happen that I can’t tell you about.”
Infinity War was received positively by critics and fans, and is poised to enter the most exclusive of blockbuster movie clubs - only three films in history have crossed the $2 billion mark at the box office. And Infinity War will join Titanic, Avatar and Star Wars: The Force Awakens in the next few days.
However, Markus and McFeely - who previously wrote all three Captain America movies for Marvel - don’t think they’ve written a perfect script for Infinity War. “Had we started from scratch, we would not have chosen six damn MacGuffins,” McFeely said, referring to the objects that act as plot devices in stories. In Infinity War, the six Infinity Stones were the MacGuffins.
Follow @htshowbiz for more
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Actor Armie Hammer was contacted by the Cayman Islands police after they received a complaint about a video he posted on a private Instagram account. The video showed a woman posing on all-fours in a hotel room.
- The White Tiger movie review: Adarsh Gourav delivers a star-making performance in Ramin Bahrani's angry answer to Slumdog Millionaire, co-starring Priyanka Chopra Jonas and Rajkummar Rao.
- Actor Tom Holland spoke about the arduous audition process for Spider-Man in the Marvel Cinematic Universe, and the time he thought he'd be fired from the role.
- A life-size cutout of Ana de Armas was trashed outside Ben Affleck's house, amid reports of their breakup.
- Joe and Anthony Russo are bringing their Marvel Cinematic Universe experience to fleshing out the Extraction franchise, director Sam Hargrave has said.
- Celebrity couple Justin Timberlake and Jessica Biel have welcomed their second child, a year after he publicly apologised for inappropriate behaviour amid cheating rumours.
- Priyanka Chopra has shared Jungle Mantra, an original song from the White Tiger soundtrack, by Divine, featuring Vince Staples and Pusha T. Listen here.
- Actor Ray Fisher has released a lengthy statement confirming his removal from the upcoming Flash movie, amid his standoff with Warner Bros.
- Actor Armie Hammer announced that he is quitting his upcoming film, amid a scandal around messages that he allegedly sent a woman.
- Patralekhaa spotted Rajkummar Rao on a hoarding of The White Tiger in New York and shared a picture on Instagram stories. She reminisced about his incredible journey, from Gurugram to New York.