Netflix reveals rare viewing numbers, crowns To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before the king
Netflix has provided a rare insight into its viewing figures. According to new data revealed by the streaming service, over 80 million subscribers watched at least one original romantic comedy last quarter. Netflix released 14 original rom-coms in 2018, six of which came during the popular ‘Summer of Love’. To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before led the pack, and has become one of Netflix’s most watched original films of all time.
Netflix doesn’t hide its formula for success. It invests billions in original programming and uses those new TV shows and movies to lure subscribers. The Los Gatos, California-based streaming company released a record 676 hours of original programming in the third quarter, according to Cowen & Co. That marked the first time it has exceeded 500 hours in any quarter.
The slate included new seasons of the drama Ozark and the animated comedy BoJack Horseman, as well as new series Insatiable and Maniac.
Netflix never identifies which shows are most successful. Nor does the company release viewership figures for programs, contending that its subscriber growth demonstrates the popularity of its entertainment slate.
Yet the company did acknowledge one point of strength: India, where it just released its first original series, Sacred Games and Ghoul. Those shows made Netflix “feel more local, more relevant” to local consumers, Chief Content Officer Ted Sarandos said during the call.
India is already one of the biggest markets for YouTube, a chief competitor, and holds great potential for Netflix. It is the world’s second-most-populous country, and hundreds of millions of residents now have access to the internet.
Follow @htshowbiz for more
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Billie Eilish The World’s a Little Blurry movie review: Apple's brilliant documentary traces the meteoric rise of the music industry's most mercurial performer.
- The fans of Harry Potter star Emma Watson were shocked as a report hinted that the actor has given up her career in acting and is devoting her time to her boyfriend.
- The first teaser for director Zack Snyder's upcoming zombie film, Army of the Dead, has been released. Dave Bautista leads the cast, which also features Huma Qureshi, although she isn't seen in the teaser.
- Actor Gal Gadot has said that she was on the verge of giving up acting when she was cast in Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice as Wonder Woman. Read her nostalgic post.
- Kim Kardashian took to her Instagram account and remembered her father Robert Kardashian on his birth anniversary. Sister Khloe Kardashian and Kourtney Kardashian also shared photos.
- I Care a Lot movie review: Rosamund Pike is in proper Gone Girl mode in director J Blakeson's devilishly entertaining dark comedy, out on Netflix.