After SP and BSP, now RLD says it will contest UP by-polls
Samajwadi Party and Bahujan Samaj Party have announced that they will contest the by-elections in Uttar Pradesh, now the third alliance partner Rashtriya Lok Dal says it will also be in fray.
“It is Mayawati ji who exited the alliance for the by-polls. We were ally of the Samajwadi Party and not of the BSP in the gathbandhan. We will definitely contest the by-polls on some seats. The party with its top leaders will decide about the number of seats it will contest and how,” said the RLD state president Masood Ahmed.
The RLD leader said the seats his party contested in the Lok Sabha polls were all from the SP quota.
Akhilesh Yadav’s Samajwadi Party had contested the Lok Sabha elections in alliance with the BSP and the RLD against the BJP. Of the 80 seats in UP, BSP contested 38 seats, SP 37, and RLD 3.
The BSP was the only party in the alliance which managed to improve its 2014 tally, it won 10 seats in 2019 against zero last time. The SP won five seats, the same as 2014, while RLD failed to open its account as in 2014.
The by-polls were necessitated because eleven UP MLAs were elected as MPs in the Lok Sabha polls. Of the 11MLAs, nine are from BJP, one each from SP and BSP.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- The finance department has written to the top brass of various departments, offices and administration to ensure strict compliance to the finance and treasury rules for maintaining fiscal discipline.
- In a letter to Puri king Gajapati Dibya Singha Deb, Union minister for petroleum and natural gas, Dharmendra Pradhan urged him to launch a mass fund collection drive to enable contribution by crores of devotees of Lord Jagannath for the development of the Jagannath Temple heritage corridor.
- Cryptocurrency is, however, not legally banned and the government is in the process of enacting a law on this matter.
- The PM asked the three services to rid themselves of legacy systems and practices that are no longer relevant.
- According to the police, some young men were dancing at the DJ night in a wedding ceremony, during which one of the accused pointed the pistol at the forehead of another youth.
- In January this year, Chief Justice of India (CJI) SA Bobde ruled out any reopening of courts for the present.