Bhim Army founder Chandrashekhar released after 15 months in Saharanpur jail
Bhim Army founder Chandrashekhar who has been in prison since his arrest in June last year, was released from Saharanpur jail early Friday morning.
He was arrested on June 8 last year from Dalhousie in Himachal Pradesh and was booked under the National Security Act after caste clashes in western Uttar Pradesh’s Saharanpur, which left one dead and many injured. On November 2 last, his detention under the NSA was extended by another six months.
Chandrashekhar, after his release from the Saharanpur jail, was quoted by ANI as saying, “The government was so scared that they are going to be rebuked by the Supreme Court, that they ordered an early release to save themselves.”
“I am confident that they’ll frame some charges against me within 10 days,” he said.
The Bhim Army founder accused the state government of misusing its machinary. “I will continue my fight for marginalised people against injustice,” he added.
Hundreds of Bhim Army supporters who gathered outside the jail, chanted slogans ‘Bhim Army Zindabad’ and ‘Chandrashekhar Zindabad’ as their leader walked out. Overwhelmed supporters garlanded him and distributed sweets to express their happiness over his release after 15 months in jail.
Bhim Army’s district president Kamal Walia claimed that Chandrashekhar’s release was victory of peoples’ faith in him and will infuse a new strength and vigour among the outfit’s supporters.
Bhim Army supporters had gathered outside the district jail at night anxiously waiting for release of their leader but district administration strategically released him at around 3 am in order to avoid any chaos.
Chandrashekher’s mother, brother and other family members also arrived there and welcomed him with garland. Bhim Army supporters then took him in a procession.
Chandrashekher had formed Bhim Army along with his associate Vinay Ratan Singh on July 21, 2015 to empower dalits and marginalised people.
The Bhim Army has influence in Saharanpur though it has supporters in all parts of western UP.
Its leaders claim that the organisation has so far opened 300 schools in Saharanpur and neighbouring districts which provide free education to children of dalits and marginalised people.
Amid the Bhim Army’s rising popularity, Bahujan Samaj Party president Mayawati had accused the BJP of propping it up to target the BSP in order to build an alliance of all castes in UP.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Giving two weeks to the government to come back with its response, the bench then formally recorded in its order that one of the issues that has caught its attention is “uncontrolled and unscreened viewing of films” on Amazon Prime Video and other OTT platforms.
- The roughly 20,000 centres being used for the vaccine drive at the moment are hospitals, private as well as public, while many primary and secondary health centres at present are kept out of the programme.
- The external affairs ministry, which too rejected Freedom House’s report, also took exception to the depiction of Jammu and Kashmir in the map used in the document.
- A home ministry spokesperson said these rules prepared by the Foreigners’ Division were part of a brochure issued on November 15, 2019. The rules were consolidated and notified on Thursday.
- After the allegations on Jarkiholi, there were unverified reports of several similar videos and other sex scandals against other cabinet ministers.
- India is a signatory to the Paris Agreement under the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change.
- On the other hand, the DMK’s stalemate continued with its main and long standing ally, the Congress, on seat sharing.
- The person said it was imperative that the photographs are removed from certificates distributed in the poll bound states, adding that the system can continue in other states.
- Lok Sabha Speaker Om Birla, former President Pratibha Patil, economist Amartya Sen, cricketer Sachin Tendulkar, spiritual leader Baba Ramdev, chief ministers of states and senior political leaders are among those included in the panel.
- According to Indian agencies, the JeI has maintained that J&K is a disputed territory.
- Interestingly, the election of the six YSRC members comes at a time when a resolution adopted by the Jagan Mohan Reddy government in the state assembly in January 2020, seeking abolition of the legislative council, is still pending with the Union home ministry.
- When the matter came up before a bench of Justices Ashok Bhushan and R Subhash Reddy on Friday, the bench adjourned it to April 7 as it had no time for a full fledged hearing.
- Madhya Pradesh chief minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan also held a review meeting on Friday to discuss with the divisional commissioners the steps being taken to contain the spread of the infection.
- There is a cost difference of about 25-30 per cent in containers made in India and abroad.