LeT commander Abu Dujana killed in Kashmir, RSS-affiliate to lead agitation against Chinese products: Top stories
Government forces killed a top commander of the Lashkar-e-Taiba in Kashmir, Swadeshi Jagaran Manch (SJM), an affiliate of the Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh, has decided to lead a massive agitation against Chinese products. Some of the top stories this morningUpdated: Aug 02, 2017 07:30 IST
Hindustan Times, New Delhi
Street protests return to Kashmir after LeT commander Abu Dujana killed
Government forces killed a top commander of the Lashkar-e-Taiba in Kashmir on Tuesday, triggering street protests that left one person dead and prompted the authorities to shut down mobile internet and schools. Police said Abu Dujana’s killing was a “huge achievement” for the government that has hardened its stand against militants after a recent spurt in violent street protests and attacks on security forces. Late Monday night, police were tipped off about an “A++ target” meeting a woman in a village in south Kashmir. Around 4am, security forces raided a house where Dujana was said to be meeting his wife. Read the story here.
China steps up activities along Himachal Pradesh border in Kinnaur
Heightened Chinese activities were reported across the international border in two Himachal Pradesh districts adjacent to the mountainous and arid Tibetan region where Beijing is building roads and infrastructure. The reports surfaced after the India-China standoff over Doklam across the Sikkim border in the eastern sector. Himachal shares a 260km porous border on its northeastern side with China and three battalions of the Indo-Tibetan Border Police (ITBP) are maintaining constant vigilance. Residents of villages in the districts of Kinnaur, Lahaul and Spiti have reported spotting Chinese helicopters and increased road-building and construction activities across the border. Read the story here.
‘Total boycott’: RSS affiliate up in arms against Chinese goods
Swadeshi Jagaran Manch (SJM), an affiliate of the Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh, has decided to lead a massive agitation against Chinese products beginning August 9 — on the occasion of Kranti Diwas, which marks the Quit India movement. With its demand for a “total boycott” of foreign manufactured goods, the Sangh Parivar’s economic wing will attempt to tap into the bitter border tussle currently on between India and China over the Doklam issue. Ajay Patki, the organisation’s national ideologue, on Monday said the government should scrap all contracts with Chinese companies who are setting up manufacturing units in India, including one in Nagpur, to cater to the Metro railway projects. The SJM is observing 2017 as “anti-China year”, and claims it has so far got around “one crore people” to pledge that they would boycott Chinese products. Read the story here.
Bodoland Muslim student leader shot dead in Kokrajhar
Unidentified miscreants gunned down Lafiqul Islam Ahmed, the president of All Bodoland Minority Students’ Union (ABMSU) in western Assam’s Kokrajhar Tuesday afternoon, hours after Prime Minister Narendra Modi left Guwahati after assessing the flood damage in the northeast. Various organisations have labelled the murder as an attempt to stir up communal violence in touchy Kokrajhar, which has had a history of bloodshed. Some police officers have said Ahmed’s killing could be an attempt by tribal extremists to keep the area on boil. Read the story here.
Aadhaar impact: Govt working on a law to protect personal data
The government was planning a law to protect data and had set up a committee that would come out with suggestions to ensure that personal information was protected, the Supreme Court was told on Tuesday. Retired Supreme Court judge BN Srikrishna-led 10-member panel had been tasked with drafting the law on data protection, additional solicitor general Tushar Mehta said in the court during a hearing on the constitutional status of the right to privacy. “The committee will identify key data protection issues in India and recommend measures of addressing them,” the law officer said. Privacy is central to the legal challenges facing Aadhaar, the 12-digit biometric unique identity number, which has raised data breach and privacy concerns. Read the story here.
Modi govt decides to take backward classes bill to the people, accuses oppn of being ‘anti-OBC’
The proposed legislation to grant constitutional status to the National Commission for Backward Classes is unlikely to see the light of the day anytime soon. On Monday evening, the Congress forced an amendment in the Constitution (123rd Amendment) Bill to provide for the inclusion of a woman and a minority members, a step that government sources term legally untenable. The government is in no mood to have a legislation with the amendment and may opt for a fresh bill, said sources. “We are committed to providing constitutional status to the backward commission,” BJP general secretary Bhupendra Yadav said. “Ek samay hamara abhi aur achcha ayega rajya sabha mein (There will be better days for us in the Rajya Sabha).” Read the story here.
Amit Shah pulls up BJP MPs for frequently bunking Parliament sessions
BJP president Amit Shah on Tuesday reprimanded party MPs for their absence from Parliament, a day after the Opposition in the Rajya Sabha forced changes to a crucial bill that now faces delay. In an embarrassment for the government, the opposition parties on Monday made an amendment to a bill to give constitutional status to the national commission for backward classes, raising the number of members from three to five to include a woman and a minority candidate from the OBC category. Seventeen of the 57 BJP MPs, including seven ministers, skipped the House on Monday afternoon. The party, said sources, had sought an explanation from them. As many as 31 members of the National Democratic Alliance were missing from the House, where the ruling coalition is in a minority. Read the story here.
V-P Hamid Ansari not invited for event, Oppn says Rajya Sabha insulted
The Rajya Sabha secretariat wrote to the Lok Sabha secretariat on Tuesday, seeking an explanation of the “impropriety” of not asking its members to come to the inauguration of a new annex to the Parliament House. Neither Vice President Mohammad Hamid Ansari, the chairperson of the Upper House, nor PJ Kurien, the deputy chairperson, were invited. On Monday, Prime Minister Narendra Modi inaugurated the building, which will house the offices of parliamentary committees. Lok Sabha Speaker Sumitra Mahajan and union ministers Ananth Kumar, Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi and Narendra Singh Tomar were among the attendees. In the Rajya Sabha, the Opposition accused the government of undermining the Rajya Sabha and its members. Read the story here.
Will soon expose Lalu Prasad’s family links with sand mafia: Sushil Modi
Bihar deputy chief minister Sushil Modi on Tuesday alleged that he would soon come out with documentary proof of sand mafia funding the RJD and investing in Lalu Prasad’s family assets. “Sand mafia fund political parties...sand mafia are the main source of RJD’s funding...I would soon hold a press conference to make a big expose on Lalu Prasad’s family links with those big guns involved in sand mining,” Modi told reporters in Patna. RJD’s Bihar unit spokesman and media in-charge Pragati Mehta dismissed the allegations as “baseless and absurd”. Read the story here.
Afghanistan: At least 20 killed injured in explosion inside mosque in Herat
An attack on a Shia mosque in the western Afghan city of Herat on Tuesday killed more than 20 people and wounded 30 others, officials said. Hospital authorities in Herat said all the dead and wounded were worshipping in the mosque when a suicide bomber blew himself up. A local police spokesman said there appeared to be more than one attacker, with a suicide bomber who detonated explosives and another who threw grenades at worshippers. There was no immediate claim of responsibility for the latest attack to hit Afghanistan, which has seen more than 1,700 civilian deaths so far this year. Read the story here.
Saudi Arabia seeks to end US lawsuits over Sept 11 attacks
Saudi Arabia on Tuesday asked a US judge to dismiss 25 lawsuits claiming that it helped plan the Sept 11, 2001 attacks and should pay damages to victims. In a filing in US District Court in Manhattan, Saudi Arabia said the plaintiffs cannot show that the kingdom or any affiliated charities were behind the attacks. It also said it deserved sovereign immunity. The Saudi government has long denied involvement in the attacks where airplanes hijacked by al Qaeda crashed into New York’s World Trade Center, the Pentagon outside Washington, and a Pennsylvania field. Saudi Arabia is being sued for billions of dollars by the families of roughly 2,500 of those killed, more than 20,000 people who suffered injuries, businesses and various insurers. Read the story here.
First Published: Aug 02, 2017 07:30 IST