NIA arrests suspect in army convoy attack in Manipur that left 18 dead | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Jan 24, 2018-Wednesday
-°C
New Delhi
  • Humidity
    -
  • Wind
    -

NIA arrests suspect in army convoy attack in Manipur that left 18 dead

Naorem Premkanta Singh of banned outfit Kanglei Yawol Kanna Lup (KYKL) was arrested in connection with the ambush on army personnel in Chandel district of Manipur on June 4, 2015.

india Updated: Jan 12, 2018 21:16 IST
Army jawans carry the coffin of a soldier killed in the ambush in Manipur. (HT file photo)
Army jawans carry the coffin of a soldier killed in the ambush in Manipur. (HT file photo)

The National Investigation Agency (NIA) arrested an alleged member of a terror organisation on Friday in connection with the ambush on an Indian Army convoy in 2015 in Manipur in which 18 personnel were killed, an official said in New Delhi.

The agency seized a pistol and five live rounds from Naorem Premkanta Singh, a member of the banned Kanglei Yawol Kanna Lup (KYKL), in an operation jointly conducted by the NIA and the Manipur Police, he said.

He was “found involved in an NIA case related to the ambush on army personnel in Chandel district, Manipur, on June 4, 2015, in which 18 army personnel were killed”, a statement from the agency read.

It said he participated in the ambush on army personnel of the 6th Dogra Battalion and had been absconding since then.

“During the investigation, a reward of Rs 2 lakh was announced by the NIA on any information leading to his arrest. The special NIA court, Imphal, had also issued a non-bailable arrest warrant. The court has announced him a proclaimed offender,” it said.

Recommended Section