Speech-impaired minor girl raped repeatedly in Odisha hospital
- The accused was caught after the survivor was found to be pregnant in a medical examination, done after she reported sickness.
A youth, who allegedly raped and impregnated a 14-year-old speech-impaired girl, who was attending to her ailing brother in a government hospital in Odisha’s Bolangir district, has been detained by the police.
Police officials said that the survivor had come to the Titlagarh sub-divisional hospital in September last year with her family for treatment of her 10-year-old brother in the paediatric ward of the hospital. While she stayed with her brother as an attendant, a worker of the Aahaar Centre (a government-run subsidised meal outlet) raped her repeatedly. The youth used to bring food for the family from the Aahaar centre.
The youth had warned the girl of dire consequences if she revealed his crime, said Titlagarh sub-divisional police officer SN Satpathy.
The crime came to light after the girl’s medical examination revealed she was pregnant. Though she suffers from mild speech impairment, she was able to convey that the worker of the Aahaar centre had raped her repeatedly, which led to his detention.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Earlier this month, CBI in the first charge-sheet in the case had named BSF Commandant Satish Kumar and Murshidabad-based businessman Enamul Haque along with five others for their alleged involvement in cattle smuggling across the India-Bangladesh border.
- The bench, also comprising Justices L Nageswara Rao and S Ravindra Bhat apart from Chief Justice of India (CJI) SA Bobde were of the view that magistrates should play a more “intrusive” role in investigation.
- Police said the accused and the victim were in a relationship for a year, but of late she had been avoiding him.
- The national carrier at present is operating only special passenger trains since the curbs on lockdown were eased. Regular passenger trains have been suspended since March 25, 2020.
- Both the casualties took place due to IED blasts.