500 taken ill in Dibrugarh
At least 500 persons, including sixty children, were taken ill after consuming food at Serapakati village in Assam's Dibrugarh district on Thursday.
The villagers ate the food served at a religious function on April 21 and today they complained of vommiting and dizziness, official sources said.
While the villagers claimed that nearly 800 people were affected, sources said the figure will not less than 500 with 60 children being admitted to the Assam Medical College.
Dibrugarh Deputy Commissioner G D Tripathy has ordered an inquiry into the incident.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- RIMS Director Dr Kameshwar Prasad said it seems to be a case of acute pneumonia and he has been put under round-the-clock observation.
- Hours before the release of the movie based on the Booker Prize winning novel of the same name written by Aravind Adiga, the court dismissed an urgent plea to injunct the makers and Netflix from premiering the movie.
- The Supreme Court dismissed the Uttar Pradesh government's appeal as it noted that the order was limited to grant of bail.
- India expressed “deep anguish at the loss of lives” and emphasised the need to deal with issues related to fishermen in a humanitarian manner.
- Despite the TMC and the Left parties’ demand that January 23 be declared a national holiday and designated after the names they had chosen, the Modi government declared on January 19 that the day will be celebrated as Parakram Diwas.