Arunachal Govt. orders inquiry into Namsai violence
The Arunachal Pradesh government today ordered a magisterial probe into the violence at Namsai in Lohit district, officials said.india Updated: Oct 25, 2010 19:00 IST
The Arunachal Pradesh government today ordered a magisterial probe into the violence at Namsai in Lohit district, officials said.
Chief Minister Dorjee Khandu ordered the inquiry after taking stock of the situation at Namsai earlier in the day
with Home Minister Tako Dabi and other officials.
Interacting with locals, including students' organisations from the state and neighbouring Assam, Khandu urged them to maintain peace in the area, official sources said.
Khandu has also ordered for additional deployment of forces to restore normalcy.
"I have directed the authority concerned to deploy additional companies of paramilitary forces. The process of airlifting forces have already started," a source said quoting Khandu.
He said those responsible would be taken to task. On the permanent residential certificates (PRCs) issue, he said for the future, he would go for a consensus from all sections of the society.
The state government had last month revoked its order for granting PRCs to non-Arunachalese residing in Lohit and
Changlang districts after protest by various student bodies.
Violence had erupted at Namsai on Saturday after police baton charged and opened fire in the air when locals
challenged a rally organised by non-Arunachalese in protests against revoking of the order.
The situation turned worst yesterday when locals set ablaze seven houses at Namsai.
First Published: Oct 25, 2010 18:56 IST